• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sink plumbing

csoule13

Member III
I feel like this topic has been beaten to death, but my poking through search isn't helping.

Is there a good reason why Ericson ran the drain from the sink in the 30+ to a T connection that shares a seacock with one of the cockpit drains? This set up on Discovery ended up with a line filled with the most awful smelling water you can imagine, and there's an unused seacock right below the sink. On my Cape Dory, that's how things are plumbed with no issue. What are we missing here?

Chris

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ericson plumbed my sink to a seacock.

Use good quality hose and double hose clamps, since if the hose comes off the seacock, we sink.

1-IMG_1616.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Chris,
On our 1984 E30+ w have the same shared seacock between the port scupper and the galley sink drain, another seacock for the raw water intake and a small seacock under the sink that connects to a drain in the ice box/refrigerator.
This has worked fine for us except when we first bought the boat and I closed the shared seacock while away from the boat. On returning to the boat I found the sink full of water, especially after a rainfall. I learned that the rainwater from the scupper backed up in the hose and gradually filled the galley sink. Now I leave that seacock open, and both the sink and the cockpit scupper drain without difficulty. I have never experienced an odour issue with this setup.
I think it would be preferable to have the cockpit drain on its own seacock, but I'm not prepared to put another hole and seacock into the hull for that. The other seacocks under the galley sink are smaller diameter, so draining the sink through them might cause a blockage if any food chunks go down the drain.
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Frank,

Discovery has the same setup as you but I would rather have a separate line to the smaller seacock that is capped off at this time

Does your kitchen sink have a u-bend or a straight drain line to the T seacock?

My sink has a catch filter and I only use the sink to wash hands and dishes so no problem with "food bits"

MJS

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My galley sink hose curves aft as it drops down from the sink and attaches to the seacock about two feet aft of the sink. It does not have a U bend in it.
Frank

kapnkd

kapnkd
I feel like this topic has been beaten to death, but my poking through search isn't helping.

Is there a good reason why Ericson ran the drain from the sink in the 30+ to a T connection that shares a seacock with one of the cockpit drains? This set up on Discovery ended up with a line filled with the most awful smelling water you can imagine, and there's an unused seacock right below the sink. On my Cape Dory, that's how things are plumbed with no issue. What are we missing here?

Chris

Alas, the one axiom that superceeds all others is “The LESS holes below the waterline - THE BETTER!” (THIS MAKES THE MOST SENSE!!)

My ‘73 E32-II originally had a split connection line fitting that brings the helmsman’s cockpit, main cockpit and sink all draining to ONE through hull fitting.

I DID have to replace the original copper cross flow fitting some years back (mid 80’s) as the copper had worn quite thin and started leaking with age from electrolysis and all. ...45 years later, I now watch it closely and WILL replace it next go-round with PVC. So far, now being in fresh water since ‘91 has reduced the problem completely.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
FWIW: There would be no point to a sanitary trap on a boat, unless it was dumping to a holding tank. The point is that water trapped in the bend prevents gas and vapor from coming back up. Shouldn't be an issue on a boat. (Turns out that they don't think they need em in Spain, either. Ew.) Also requires some horizontal run between the fixture and the drain pipe or it becomes an "S" trap which doesn't work because all the water siphons out. Needs to be a "P," not an "S."

I was planning to add a scupper at the front end of the cockpit and thinking of Tee-ing in there myself. Maybe the scupper should have a valve in-line (if there's room) before the Tee, since it's only needed at sea. But that might be needless complexity.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had the same setup and when i got the boat the thruhull was leaking every few seconds and it was frozen open. I could barely reach it anyway. When I pulled it out the scupper hose was mostly plugged with all manner of debris since it had a long flat run. I hate the idea of not being able to close thru hulls so i moved the scuppers to their own above-waterline thru hulls on the counter with ball stopper scupper drains. I also moved the sink thru hull to immediately below the sink, so now all below waterline thru hulls can be easily closed. I have not been in any weather yet to test how the scuppers perform, but I sleep well at night knowing I don't have any open thru hulls. Seems like the original design was done to cut costs.