• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Taking out my A4 from 35II

Lucky Dog

Member III
I’m taking my Atomic 4 out for a rebuild.
Any advice getting it ready to pull?
I’m out of the water. In a great boat yard.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
A-4

Are you pulling it or the yard? Are you doing the rebuild or are you jobbing it out? Take pictures of it from many angles. If you're pulling it, take everything off that you can, starter, carb, alternator, coil, wires, water pump/s, etc. before removing it from the boat. Make sure that the engine mounts are free and your coupler is loose. Put everything removed, including fasteners, in labeled plastic bags and label all of the wires. Being very organized now saves a lot of time and effort later. If you're tearing it down follow the same advice. Each individual part disassembled goes in a bag or envelope marked from where it was removed, even remnants of gaskets.

Last edited:

RedHerring

Member II
Few things I learned by helping a pro do it on my E35-2:

1. It was fairly easy to lift my old Yanmar diesel out of the cabin and onto the dock using the boat's own boom and a chain hoist. The biggest piece of work that day was disconnecting the thing from all the wires and hoses that are attached to it.
2. You'll have no problem moving it around in a typical marina trolley (the boxy / big wheels / steel frame kind).
3. Tie a halyard to the same point where you attach the chain hoist and use that on a halyard winch to keep the boom raised.
4. Use the chain hoist to actually lift and lower the engine. Make sure the boom is raised high enough for the engine to clear the cabin top before you start lifting. Keep in mind that the halyard will sag a few inches under the load.
5. +1 to removing anything you can easily remove from the engine before hoisting to make the load narrow enough.

6. Having a new diesel is AWESOME.
7. Pay attention to your new engine's alignment and re-tension the alignment nuts religiously until they settle. My diesel was basically hanging on one corner at some point because I didn't know any better.
8. E35-2 gets pooped occasionally in a big following sea (the price of low freeboard / narrow rear end). Once that happens, the aft half of the cockpit becomes a rocking bathtub full of cold water and your engine control panel gets completely submerged several times until the cockpit drains itself. Same for the engine shutoff cable if it's installed where mine is. Salt water can short the ignition key and inadvertently turn the starter on.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some searching on-line shows the engine weight spec. as varying from 310# to 335#.
That's heavier than our former Universal diesel that we removed with the main halyard and a Lewmar 30 winch (ten inch T-handle). It was a bit difficult to crank, but I am somewhat short of muscle at my age, too.
I was lifting a calculated weight of about 265#.

There is quite a bit of iron in your 'classic' gas engine... :0

If you can, do post up some pix or a video.

I see that you are rebuilding it. Be sure that your total cash outlay does not rise above about 50% of the cost of a new diesel. (File under unsolicited advice.) :)

Last edited: