• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 Polars?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Anyone ever generate polars for their E32? I don't have an anemometer but am trying to learn and practice what my expected performance could theoretically be for the various points of sail in various wind conditions. I've read our boats are pointy but not so great downwind.

Also, what's been y'all's experience on max speed for an E32? I got up to 6.8kts under full throttle during sea trials, so that's probably hull speed. Fastest so far under sail was 6.2 on a windy day between close hauled / beam reach...with the current sails, I expect that's nearing my max under wind power.

**Edit** I knew the second I posted this, I'd put the foot in the mouth... previous thread here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?15394-Polars-for-E32-3

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
Polars. If you look at a lot of polars they are not that different if you find similar boats. There are some e 38 polars on this site same hull design. There is an iPad app I bought Ipolar that estimates polars from sail area displacement and water line length. There is an android program called sailgrib wr free that has many polars. Ireggatta can create them. Using sailgrib find some similar boats and compare to the e38 and adjust as needed. The interesting thing about eboats is that they have short water lines compared to today's designs. Eboats gain waterline with the right amount of heel. Find boats of the same era. You can come up with a reasonable starting point. Look for boats of similar length and phrf. J30. Catalina 30 tall rig. Catalina 36. Catalina 320. Look for some older benteuas. Etc etc etc. phrf around 160

brianhettrick

Don't have polars, but 6.8-7 is about hull speed for my 1985 32-3 with a shoal keel. I do not point well though with the shoal keep although we do great with a beam reach or up to about 45 to the wind although it likes 60 best. We consistently will get to 7 or better in 12-14+ winds.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Don't have polars, but 6.8-7 is about hull speed for my 1985 32-3 with a shoal keel. I do not point well though with the shoal keep although we do great with a beam reach or up to about 45 to the wind although it likes 60 best. We consistently will get to 7 or better in 12-14+ winds.

That’s about what we get on our 1987 32-3 with a shoal keel also. You say that you don’t point well. How close to the wind can you sail? I can usually bring it within 30 degrees and at times a few degrees more.

Last edited: