• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Has anyone replaced a keel?

oldfauser

Member III
I've have this crazy idea... look into swapping a shoal draft keel for the deep draft keel on a 32-3. But before i go looking for a keel, I was wondering if anyone has dropped their keel for maintenance, keel bolt replacement, etc...

Other question - did Ericson use different keel "shoes" for the different keels available?

:egrin:

debonAir

Member III
It looks like the "deep draft" keel for the 32-3 was actually just a winged version of the shoal-draft keel according to sailboatdata.com. According to Bruce King (in a personal conversation) the wing portion was a bolt-on to the bottom of the shoal keel and had a very slight angle down to "pull" the boat to windward when well heeled. He raced around Block Island with such a config and was impressed with the performance (i.e. they placed well) so maybe that's an option? You might be able to get a bolt-on wing made or found. The alternative would be having a deeper keel made. At that point the boat's structure comes into play because the increased righting moment and/or lift of a deeper keel will place more stress on the keel bolts / bilge / etc. The only people I know that have replaced a keel "for fun" vs. "for damage repair" were serious racers, and I even question that because their PHRF ratings become unrelated to their sister ships making for grumbling competitors. Good luck!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...the "deep draft" keel for the 32-3 was actually just a winged version of the shoal-draft keel...

I don't know anything about the winged version. But the "deep draft" keel for the 32-3 is a pretty normal trapezoidal foil - no wings, no bulb, and definitely not a bolt-on added to a shoal-keel.

Draft is 6'-0" with this keel.

keel.jpg

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The deep draft 32-3 is a fin keel giving `the boat a total draft of 6'. The shoal draft and winged keel are shallow draft versions. What you might want depends on how you are going to use the boat. If performance is the determining factor, the fin keel wins every time. The shoal draft versions can't point as high or foot as fast. They are more tender as their ballast is carried higher. If you live in an area where the water tends to be shallow, the advantages are obvious. You can go to more places.

Every boat is a compromise. You need to decide what you need. I went for the performance. If I lived in Florida, the decision might be different. Good luck with your search for an answer.

Last edited:
L

Leslie Newman

My E380 began its life as a wing keeled boat. The previous owner, working with a yard and I think the designer, had the wing cut away and a short section of lead bolted to the bottom of the keel. He told me the boat sailed better after the change. He said he was tired of catching lobster pots is why he made the change. Draft is now exactly 6' - 0".
You might consider something along those lines instead of replacing the whole keel.

I was sailing this past Saturday and got to experience the E380 balanced, sailing herself. I sailed for a good five minutes never touching the wheel, no autopilot. Close hauled and doing almost five knots. I was checking out slab reefing I had just spent the morning installing.

This is the current keel...

Osprey2.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are many threads here about rebedding keels and keel bolt replacement.

From shoal to deep? I'd change boats, not keels.

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
There are many threads here about rebedding keels and keel bolt replacement.

From shoal to deep? I'd change boats, not keels.

thought had crossed my mind... we have too much history with the current boat to do that :egrin:

not really a big deal as the boat is awesome when we crack the sheets...

Luv2TriInFla

Modify keel or change boat

thought had crossed my mind... we have too much history with the current boat to do that :egrin:

not really a big deal as the boat is awesome when we crack the sheets...

Art, I completely agree. I have had so many personal experiences with my E25+ and done so much that I no longer consider swapping her for anything else. A am currently in the process of doing a keel cut to modify to a bulb keel to reduce her draft. A better draft will only give me more experiences to live with her.