• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Owners - Replacing worn Mast parts

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Discovery is a 1983 Ericson 30+ with many updates over the last four (4) years

I am making a winter to-do list and thinking about replacing sheaves, updating wire-rope halyards to dyneema, and re-wiring and adding a wireless Tic-Tak (Christen's suggestions)

Kenyon Spars has been mentioned several times so I contacted them for assistance. They responded with

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your interest in our products. [/FONT]
See attached Quote.

If there is $0.00 pricing on your quote, the item is Not Currently Available.
Otherwise, parts are in stock.
All Pricing is Each (unless otherwise indicated) and in USD.
You know the quote was $0.00 - Translation - no parts available
Any suggestions, ideas, bad stories?

MJS

Fridayknight

Kenyon spars

I have placed an order with Kenyon for a new outhall endcap assembly for my 32-3, that was on July 16. It is now Sept 22. This assembly includes sheaves. I have called them several times for the status of my order. They have a phone prompt for getting the status of orders, great, but you have to leave a message. Fine, they never called me back. After another week, I call the parts ordering, at least they picked up the phone. Their reply is they didn't have the sheaves avaliable at the time and it was going to take 6 weeks to get them in... OK well that sucks. I have waited 6 weeks and called them back, still no sheaves avaliable. This was last week. So I asked them to just send the endcap and I will get the sheaves someplace else. Still no endcap. They have to adjust the amount that I have paid and that hasn't been done either. Yes they took my money on the first day. I am so upset with this company, how are they still in business? I have read on this forum, that they have horrible customer service...

My question is: is there another supplier for Kenyon Spars parts?

The endcap is integeral to the reefing system and a real safety concern in my opinion and I am reluctant to sail when I don't trust it. It has been two months! I am a really unhappy customer.:mad:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Eric,

Rigrite is another place to find frustration. http://www.rigrite.com/A-Main/hardware_M.php

Given the challenge with old parts, many of us try to have the original fixed by a welder, revised, or a new part made locally from scratch.

Buzz Ballenger is always helpful with advice and may take on the job. http://www.ballengerspars.com/

If you can post a photo of the issue someone here may have a bright idea.

There is very little busted on an Ericson that somebody here hasn't fixed.

Last edited:

Fridayknight

Kenyon spars

I am sorry for being dyslexic Christian, I meant to say that I ordered it from rig-rite not Kenyon. Thanks for the input.

Fridayknight

Kenyon spars

Here are the pictures requested, if i did it right. You see the casting is the main problem, large cracks. The sheaves are not in great shape either.

Attachments

• 20180721_102825.jpg
    20180721_102825.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180721_102657.jpg
    20180721_102657.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 15

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It sure sounded like Rigright. Despite their lists, such castings are rarely in stock and are extremely expensive. Bad consumer interface, but it's good they're there (since nobody else is).

That boom cap is easy to take off and show to a local welder. He may or may not be willing to weld it--old aluminum is not a good candidate. But it's the first step.

Can a reinforcing plate be made and screwed onto the back? The welder will have an opinion and can do it for you.

You don't really need the big SS pin or the fins that hold it. You have a topping lift and the outhaul is internal, right? I ground those fins off my current boat, because one was broken.

Sheave replacement is often a standard procedure you can do yourself, and I think those who've done it will chime in with sheave sources and techniques.

I ran into a similar issue with the other end--the cast aluminum gooseneck. Reinforcement was the eventual answer, in my case at least.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...icson-38-Broken-Boom-Gooseneck-Fitting-(Fixed

Fridayknight

Kenyon spars

Haha! I was thinking of taking it to a welder in the beginning. I thought just replacing it would be simpler. I live in a heavy oil industry area so finding a good welder should not be very hard.
Thanks for the advice Christian, I will try to get the sheaves from zephyrwerks.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Eric,

Let us know how you make out, and please provide contact information if you are success/satisfied/Ok with the service and results.

I have not heard anyone say, replace with new mast and/or boom yet... any comments on this option?

MJS