• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

how to check transmission oil level - volvo 2003B with ms2 transmission

redbeard1

Member II
Hello,

I remember reading somewhere to check the transmission oil by NOT inserting the dipstick all the way in (rest the dipstick on top of the hole).

The manual simply shows how to remove the dipstick. I found a poll that said to not insert all the way but it was not specific to any model and seemed to reference dipsticks that screw in.

Can anyone confirm this.

Volvo Penta Gearbox Oil Level?

Again, i have a 2003B volvo penta with Ms2 transmission.

Attachments

• trans.PNG
    trans.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 75
L

Leslie Newman

I don't know that transmission, but I would think the rule applies to the screw in type dip stick, as there is a greater difference in depth with those sticks than what your picture is showing for that type dip stick.
But again, I don't know that specific transmission. I do know the manual for my transmission specifically states to check the oil level with the dip stick NOT screwed into place. That diagram you show isn't stating that.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Checking the level with the dip stick that was attached to our former Hurth trans. threaded fill cap, forever 20 years, we always checked with the dip stick (cap) not screwed in. This was per the Universal manual also, IIRC.

Our new Beta has a different style push-in dip stick.