• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gennaker....or...?

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
The Newport International Boat Show is on this weekend and I'm considering placing an order for a downwind sail. I'd like to keep it fairly simple for the deck crew so thinking about a gennaker/asymmetrical spinnaker.

I'm interested in feedback from members who have used a gennaker on an E38 and its downwind capabilities. Has anyone ever used one wing-on-wing with the Genoa poled out at the same time.

e38 owner

Member III
The Newport International Boat Show is on this weekend and I'm considering placing an order for a downwind sail. I'd like to keep it fairly simple for the deck crew so thinking about a gennaker/asymmetrical spinnaker.

I'm interested in feedback from members who have used a gennaker on an E38 and its downwind capabilities. Has anyone ever used one wing-on-wing with the Genoa poled out at the same time.

I have racing spinnakers and a 1.5 oz Doyle gennaker. I don't use the gennaker often and would sell it if you are interested. The answer to your question is a little complicated and really depends on your intended use. If you want to race a gennaker will not work. Ddw they are not so great either. We have had fun with it broad reaching when we were short of crew for the sym.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Has anyone ever used one wing-on-wing with the Genoa poled out at the same time.

Interesting idea. Twin headsails were once a solution to long courses dead downwind, and could be set to steer the boat.

But winged-out headsails require two very long poles, a hassle to set and store.

And what do you do with the mainsail, the easiest sail to control on the boat?

Fast boats don't go DDW anymore--too slow. Which is why we have so many types of specialty reaching sails these days. How much do Ericsons gain by tacking downwind?

A real spinnaker, with a crew to handle it, is unbeatable dead downwind and very powerful for deep reaching too.

In my opinion, for shorthanded boats or basic passagemaking, its hard to beat a genoa on a whisker pole: easy set, jibe under control, and both main and roller jib can be reefed or extended at will.

Yeah, it's just opinion.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I have racing spinnakers and a 1.5 oz Doyle gennaker. I don't use the gennaker often and would sell it if you are interested. The answer to your question is a little complicated and really depends on your intended use. If you want to race a gennaker will not work. Ddw they are not so great either. We have had fun with it broad reaching when we were short of crew for the sym.

Good point! I should have mentioned that my use would be for cruising and lazy afternoon sailing. I possibly could be interested in the gennaker. Feel free to PM details age, panel cut, pics, price etc.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Has anyone ever used one wing-on-wing with the Genoa poled out at the same time.

Interesting idea. Twin headsails were once a solution to long courses dead downwind, and could be set to steer the boat.

But winged-out headsails require two very long poles, a hassle to set and store.

And what do you do with the mainsail, the easiest sail to control on the boat?

Fast boats don't go DDW anymore--too slow. Which is why we have so many types of specialty reaching sails these days. How much do Ericsons gain by tacking downwind?

A real spinnaker, with a crew to handle it, is unbeatable dead downwind and very powerful for deep reaching too.

In my opinion, for shorthanded boats or basic passagemaking, its hard to beat a genoa on a whisker pole: easy set, jibe under control, and both main and roller jib can be reefed or extended at will.

Yeah, it's just opinion.

All good points Christian. I've poled out the Genoa and that works well on my boat. I've seen a few articles on wing-on-wing headsails using a Genoa and Genneaker so it got me wondering. Like the following images show. But as you say are two poles on deck worth the hassle.

http://sitch.org/sailing/images/2006-10-22__wanderlust_wing_wing__600_450.jpg

http://sitch.org/sailing/images/2006-10-23__two_headsails_outside_view__600_800.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Two head sails........

All good points Christian. I've poled out the Genoa and that works well on my boat. I've seen a few articles on wing-on-wing headsails using a Genoa and Genneaker so it got me wondering. Like the following images show. But as you say are two poles on deck worth the hassle.

http://sitch.org/sailing/images/2006-10-22__wanderlust_wing_wing__600_450.jpg

http://sitch.org/sailing/images/2006-10-23__two_headsails_outside_view__600_800.jpg

A retired couple from our little YC have been sailing around the south seas for the last couple years, and before they left they installed a "twizzle" rig on their Jason 35. They say they used it a lot running downwind in the Pacific. Double head sail with the two poles meeting in the center and sort of 'floating' on a ring that's part of a topping lift setup, IIRC.
If you like double-end boats, their Jason is a solid as any Ericson, BTW. I did a coastal delivery on a sister ship. Pretty boats and solid as all heck.

Link: https://velicblog.wordpress.com

Last edited: