• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32 foot Ericson

Reuben

Mast, roller furler, top hatch, rudder, sold. Front / rear Railings, windows, winches, SAILS(excellent condition), interior wood, stations, helm, hardware, atomic 4, still available. This is a mk 2 serial #ERY32565M78f.
734-644-0336

kapnkd

kapnkd
Mast, roller furler, top hatch, rudder, sold. Front / rear Railings, windows, winches, SAILS(excellent condition), interior wood, stations, helm, hardware, atomic 4, still available. This is a mk 2 serial #ERY32565M78f.
734-644-0336

Good morning Dan,

Your post got off to a slow start as there was an EYO computer problem and viewers couldn't respond yesterday. Noticed there have been about 70 visits to your post in one day alone, so hopefully you will now get some inquiries about what you have to offer.

best regards,
kerry & cary

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
Looking for Rub Rails, not sure if these are original

IMG_20181020_120616524_LL.jpgMy Rub rail was partially destroyed in a recent storm, along with detonating a few fenders and snapping three dock lines... I am not sure if this was the original style rub rail for my Ericson 32-2 (1974) but I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement. I only need about 8' of the base, the insert popped out and is fine. The rub rail as shown is 2" wide and 1 1/8" thick.

Is this what is on this boat???

Thank you

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do a Google seach for "Ericson Yachts rub rail" to find forum discussions and maybe an answer.

If no luck, post this in "Maintenance and Mechanical". All the rub rail is different and there are various creative solutions.

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
Looks like the Wefco may have the right one

Wefco seems to make the right part, I am happy that my boat survived the storm without the "sharkmouth" in the bow like some of my dock mates, although replacing this rub rail may be a bit of a pain. It was an exciting day in the marina! A half a dozen docks snapped off and sank, My dock was one of the ones they got to in time and chained down to keep it in place. The water was up over a foot above the already high water levels, plus 45 knot winds, and with a 25' sea coming in off the lake we had a swell in the marina running perpendicular to both the docks and the prevailing winds. I lost one fender, detonated two more and snapped three lines, but I was there to keep replacing lines and "borrowed" a truck tire one of the power-boaters had gotten wrapped around his prop to drop in as a fender for the day!
IMG_20181010_150055_601.jpgIMG_20181011_131130049.jpgIMG_20181011_150343_605.jpg
The first picture is my neighbors unfortunate Cheoy Lee offshore-31, the second is some of the docks post storm, the third is my boat (one of the two tires I tossed between the boat and the dock is visible) showing my lack of a rub rail!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Wefco seems to make the right part, I am happy that my boat survived the storm without the "sharkmouth" in the bow like some of my dock mates, although replacing this rub rail may be a bit of a pain. It was an exciting day in the marina! A half a dozen docks snapped off and sank, My dock was one of the ones they got to in time and chained down to keep it in place. The water was up over a foot above the already high water levels, plus 45 knot winds, and with a 25' sea coming in off the lake we had a swell in the marina running perpendicular to both the docks and the prevailing winds. I lost one fender, detonated two more and snapped three lines, but I was there to keep replacing lines and "borrowed" a truck tire one of the power-boaters had gotten wrapped around his prop to drop in as a fender for the day!
View attachment 25405View attachment 25406View attachment 25407
The first picture is my neighbors unfortunate Cheoy Lee offshore-31, the second is some of the docks post storm, the third is my boat (one of the two tires I tossed between the boat and the dock is visible) showing my lack of a rub rail!

HOLLY SMOKES!! ...So sorry to see the damages that have occurred! The boat "Dan" speaks of is a '78 Ericson 32 - II. The starboard rub rail is intact but the port side does have some damage about mid-ship. Not sure what size your Ericson is but hopefully this will help you.

I'm amazed there were 25' seas with 45mph winds being Minnesota is on the Western edge of Lake Superior and I always thought that was the windward shore and less rough with typical NW Autumn gales and storms. (I'm assuming you are on Lake Superior for those kinds of "seas".

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
HOLLY SMOKES!! ...So sorry to see the damages that have occurred! The boat "Dan" speaks of is a '78 Ericson 32 - II. The starboard rub rail is intact but the port side does have some damage about mid-ship. Not sure what size your Ericson is but hopefully this will help you.

I'm amazed there were 25' seas with 45mph winds being Minnesota is on the Western edge of Lake Superior and I always thought that was the windward shore and less rough with typical NW Autumn gales and storms. (I'm assuming you are on Lake Superior for those kinds of "seas".

The wind was straight out of the ENE, so perfectly aligned to raise as much havoc as possible! I found a good picture of the lake that day! To say it was not safe would be an understatement.
GALLERY-14527-IMG-66995.jpg

kapnkd

kapnkd
The wind was straight out of the ENE, so perfectly aligned to raise as much havoc as possible! I found a good picture of the lake that day! To say it was not safe would be an understatement.
View attachment 25408

OUCH! ...Amazing photo to say the least and put you straight away to being the Lee Shore! I can see the large swells rolling into the harbor you're are talking about as well! Looks like the swells are what is flooding that parking lot too!! ...What Gordon Lightfoot sang about that lake years ago sure rings TRUE!!! Mostly here off the Western shore of Lake Erie, we only get hard winds from the NW and not the East at all (Thank Goodness!!)

PLEASE keep us posted with your progress in the fix/repair of your Ericson not to mention your sources for parts. So many of the original part suppliers to Ericson are long gone, so new sources are always appreciated.

Best regards,
-kerry

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
I found my parts!

I found a boat wrecker in Marinette Wisconsin and got the rub rail plus some other stuff while I was at it! If anyone is looking for miscellaneous boat parts he has (going by memory) an E-25, E-27, a weird widebody e-28+ e-32-2 E-34????

Plus a pile (yes I said a pile) of other boats out sitting in the field. I think there are between 75-100 boats out there! Mostly abandoned boats from various marinas and insurance salvages. But all of them are off fresh water so they do not have the usual salt-water corrosion issues!

nandjmarine.com

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Parts still available here? Interested in knowing more about the sails.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Parts still available here? Interested in knowing more about the sails.

I remember him saying the sails on the boat were in good shape and the cruising chute looked like brand new. It’s been a while but at last conversation with him the sails had not yet been bought by anyone.

...His phone contact is 734.644.0336 (top of this thread)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Danke schoen. Secondhand asym would help me justify getting an asym :)

Back in ‘75 a cruising chute was my first spinnaker on “CaryOn” (‘73 E-32II). Never regretted the purchase for off wind performance improvement. (Also, it’s always fun/exciting having some bright colors flying from your mast.)