• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

mandatory evacuation

JPS27

Member III
Anyone else under an evacuation order for Hurricane Florence. Took us by surprise a little as we are on the northern edge of the red zone. But at 5' above sea level, kids, stepkids and pets we're outta here soon.

I took most everything of value off the boat (tools, some electronics, cushions, etc etc), took off all canvas, sails etc. Followed the guidance out there. But I've seen opinions about tying up that vary. I decided to tie up with double lines and some play, not tight up against the floating dock. I also made sure my boom was as stationary as possible. Make sense? The play in the line was my only doubt. I plan to check everything over once more tomorrow.

evacuation

Here across the Neuse river from Oriental, NC.....no evacuation as of yet. Road #70 leaving Morehead City and outer banks is jammed with cars.
Heavy rains have started, no extra wind. Report that the water will rise by 6-12 feet ( I will say from last storms for a #2-3....10 feet easy).
The Pamlico Sound is only about 12-22 feet deep and the waves become crazy. All the water from the North has to go somewhere.

Sketcher is in Oriental in the water with very long lines to be extended out. But when the water is 10 feet above the docks.....you cannot let the lines out.

Hilco Woudstra hoping for the best.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Hi Jay, if your floating docks are like ours across the harbor we have pilings at the opening of the docks. I am sure you are figuring for those, too.
I have seen many boats with super tight lines at high tide/surge because their skippers didn't allow for slack needed at the non floating pilings. I even saw a boat take on water (yesterday!) as the tide rose and her lines already taught- holding her down.

Note: the NOAA models have eased up a bit for this area. I am staying put.

JPS27

Member III
We decided to stay put given that Florence is breaking down and away. Our marina management strongly encourages not using the pilings because they negate the advantages of floating docks for the reason you mentioned. They also encourage boats to go bow in during storms. I see some with those rollers on the dock lines around pilings, which makes sense. I wish our boats had amidships cleats to spread the lines across more attachment points. Good luck over there in Norfolk and especially in NC and SC.

The hurricane

It is now 4-5 days after the Hurricane....WOW, that was not fun. We had allot of tornadoes also.
We live on the Neuse River about 20 miles from New Bern, NC and 5 miles across the river from Oriental, NC.
All of these areas hit hard. New Bern with flooding. We had 100+ winds for 16 hours, lost 20 feet of land from our berm that's is 12 feet above normal water height.
The waves pounded the land...the wind would catch the waves and salt spray onto the house.

Two trees on the home...waiting for the crane, a 30" diameter on the garage/office building....massive damage. But we survived. Allot of people lost their homes.

Oh...by-the-way, Sketcher our 35-3...not one scratch.
Our Pecan Grove marina, a hurricane hole.

Hilco on Sketcher