• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Deck non-skid is slippery

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi all -

Not sure if the broker/PO waxed the deck or what on my boat, but it seems like the non-skid surface is super slippery. I've been on other boats where I can walk around barefoot without issue, but I slide down from the top of the cockpit "hump" at the helm down to the lower sides, and consistently slide around the deck. Even folks with gym shoes / sneakers seem to have a hard time standing safely. It does get much grippier when wet, however.

Is there something I can do to make the non-skid on the deck more non-skid besides recommending everyone buy a good set of topsiders? :D

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I don't know if I will use it on the boat, but have a quart of West Marine non-skid paint. Basically, it has sand in it. You shake the can real hard and paint quickly before it settles. I painted a dinghy seat that I made with it and it is a bit rough on the tuckus. (Now covered with pad.) Sure not slippery though.

Actually, I was thinking about the irony of the non-skid in my cockpit yesterday. Seems like at the critical moments, I'm mostly planting my feet on the sides of the cockpit and the combings. (One of those lovely days with 5 - 35 knot breeze. Bloody scabs and bruises from the knee down. No idea what from.)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our nonskid paint is old.

A careful scrub with detergent can get off surface oils and dirt and wax. I think it actually works, up to a point.

"Careful" because detergent removes the wax that we put on to protect the gelcoat. Which is how wax gets on the paint. Which is never removed because we don't use detergent because it removes the wax on the gelcoat....

I occasionally scrub the soles of my boat shoes with acetone. They tend to want to kill me most of the time, and it ain't the non-skid, it's the shoes.

Nobody has solved the problem of the shoes. I don;t know why, but my one-year-old Sperry's ($100) grip better when the deck is wet. When sliding around at the helm I dump a bucket of water in the cockpit. Ridiculous. Why should that work? But it does.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Has anyone here ever tried products like Woody Wax or other wax-based non-skid enhancements? I read the PS review and they gave it favorable marks. I think the deck is pretty clean but even dry it's so slidey...folks can barely use their feet to keep themselves on the right side of the cockpit when we're heeling while underway (yeah I could also let the traveler out... ;) )

Emerald

Has anyone here ever tried products like Woody Wax or other wax-based non-skid enhancements? I read the PS review and they gave it favorable marks. I think the deck is pretty clean but even dry it's so slidey...folks can barely use their feet to keep themselves on the right side of the cockpit when we're heeling while underway (yeah I could also let the traveler out... ;) )

Don't think it's got any wax in it, but Aurora Sure Step will give a nice look and not make things slick.

https://www.auroramarine.com/store/sure-step.html

e38 owner

Member III
Our nonskid paint is old.

A careful scrub with detergent can get off surface oils and dirt and wax. I think it actually works, up to a point.

"Careful" because detergent removes the wax that we put on to protect the gelcoat. Which is how wax gets on the paint. Which is never removed because we don't use detergent because it removes the wax on the gelcoat....

I occasionally scrub the soles of my boat shoes with acetone. They tend to want to kill me most of the time, and it ain't the non-skid, it's the shoes.

Nobody has solved the problem of the shoes. I don;t know why, but my one-year-old Sperry's ($100) grip better when the deck is wet. When sliding around at the helm I dump a bucket of water in the cockpit. Ridiculous. Why should that work? But it does.
. Rubbing alcohol works great on the soles of my shoes

nquigley

Sustaining Member

I have the same problem - I have a 'skid-deck'.
'Woody Wax' made me think of surfboard wax for some reason. Is there an easy way (or ready-made product) to get a thin layer of surfboard wax to the deck? It sure works for surfing!

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
I have the same problem - I have a 'skid-deck'.
'Woody Wax' made me think of surfboard wax for some reason. Is there an easy way (or ready-made product) to get a thin layer of surfboard wax to the deck? It sure works for surfing!

I think stuff like Woody Wax or the Star-Brite nonskid covering are basically this - you apply a thin layer of wax, buff it out, and then it's supposed to shed water more easily and be less slippery. Not sure how it works in reality, though. Practical Sailor has an article here:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/32_10/features/Boat_Deck_Cleaning_5333-1.html

EDIT:

For posterity, as of 2019 the deck isn't as slippery. I believe it must have been waxed just prior to sale.

Last edited: