• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Genoa sheets

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Ericson 30+ owners,

Discovery (Ericson 30+) Genoa sheets are run on the inner traveler. When I inspected a picture of Naoma, her Genoa sheets were run on the outer traveler.

Question: How do you run your Genoa sheets

Question: What are Pros and Cons of inner and outer positions?

MJS

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jibs and genoas are on the inside track to provide a closer sheeting angle to windward.

However, as you know, when a genoa is let out for reaching the sheet bears on the lifelines.

On a long cruise, that makes chafe--so the sheet is led outboard. I don't bother, for daysailing.

Snatch blocks make the change easy, but they're expensive.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I generally agree with Christian's reply, but on our E30+ with a125% genoa, I gain at least a half knot by running the sheets outside the shrouds on the outer track. Our 95% runs inside. While I gain that half knot, I know I'm losing a bit by having to sail a bit farther off the wind, but I prefer the extra speed. If wind is on the nose and I'm tacking alot, the genoa comes inside the shrouds on the one track to improve sheeting angle so I can make more headway.
Frank

bolbmw

Member III
I use the inner track nearly all of the time, however I find that sail shape is better when wind is aft of the beam if I use the outer track, with my 130% genoa.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Thank you Team Ericson,

I am a day/weekend Chesapeake Bay sailor at this point and rigged for the inner track and was wondering about the purpose/use of the outer track.

If I ever follow the dream and leave the Bay for Florida and beyond...

P.S. Christen thank you for the video's and your latest book, it is feeding the dream.

MJS

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Al,

A spinnaker! That is interesting as I am saving my pennies and investigating how to set up an asymmetric for next summer.

The Chesapeake has been such a disappointment this summer. The low winds and my heavy Genoa are not a good combination around this time of year.

MJS