• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First Offshore Passage - Maui to Port Angeles (Success!)

bolbmw

Member III
On August 9th, six of us departed from Lahaina, Maui, HI en route to Port Angeles, WA on the west coast. Our boat, a Beneteau Oceanis 46 had just completed the Vic Maui yacht race, and this was its return trip. We completed the 2,500nm passage in 15 days at an average of 7 knots.

It was an incredible trip, and my first offshore passage. Many pictures, videos and log entries to sift through to tell the tale. For the most part the trip was ‘brochure sailing’ conditions even though we were upwind (as this route dictates.) Comfortable trade winds, good weather and lots of fishing. Heat was our biggest problem during the first few days of the trip - it was uncomfortably hot and sweaty. Note to self; any serious offshore boat needs dorade vents. We didn’t dare open the forward facing hatches.

The occasional squall brought entertainment, and in-mast furling made reefing in advance a breeze. We had some issues with the in-mast furling gear later in the trip, with a sticking outhaul car causing geometry changes that made furling/unfurling a problem with bunching of the sail causing it to pinch. We had to drop the main entirely a couple of times to unjam it, and no amount of lubricants would help the car. We ended up tying a length of line to it, so that someone could yank on it. Eventually it would budge.

With a water maker, plenty of diesel and a Watt & Sea hydrogenerator we had ample water, and power. At over 7.5 knots the hydro generator not only handled the substantial house loads (two freezers, plus fridge, and all the other usual cruising gear), it charged the batteries to full charge frequently. We didn’t need to run the motor that often, but when we did, that meant a hot shower for all.

The first 24 hours and last 36 hours were the roughest of the trip, and hand steering was necessary. We often hand steered anyways to get the most boat speed, but the confused seas during these times and higher winds were no match for the standard auto pilot. Generally sea state and winds were ideal 95% of the time, and only during squalls or these two periods did we have winds over 25kn.

We headed north the majority of the first week, before starting to make our easting. A low pressure system further north created a squeeze zone. This compressed the North Pacific High and we were able to benefit from this wind shift, and with the squished high we motored across it in 36 hours.

An Iridium Go! Provided offshore data, and we used weather routing and navigation predictions using Expedition. Both the GFS weather model, and the routing, with the aid of our navigator were extremely accurate. We typically made decisions based on the 80% polar chart of the boat, choosing where we wanted to be in 24 hour intervals.

This was an amazing experience, and my first offshore journey could not have gone any better. 15 days is a long time, and the passage had three distinct parts. During the first 5-6 days everything was novel, and exciting. The tropical weather doesn’t hurt either! Then I realized just how long this trip was really going to be… During the last half that acceptance to how long the trip would be let me relax, be mindful and soak it all in.

The stars at night, the sunsets, and the sunrises are incredible. Awe inspiring and moving, words, and pictures do not do them justice. Sailing on a moonless, clear night is to take a voyage through the cosmos.

I have many pictures, and videos to sort through to attempt to tell the story as a 10 minute YouTube video. Wish me luck! Your questions and comments will help me tell the tale.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congrats. Sounds like a fine passage.

Puzzled that an autopilot couldn't hold course to satisfaction, especially to windward.

David Grimm

E38-200
Sounds like an amazing experience. That hydro generator is no joke. Wonder if it could have provided air conditioning for some of the time?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Congratulations on your successful trip! Noting your boat's name, Are you home ported in Port Angeles or Sequim? We have several Ericsons in both harbors. I happen to berth in PA. If you do, perhaps we can share a beer.

bolbmw

Member III
Congratulations on your successful trip! Noting your boat's name, Are you home ported in Port Angeles or Sequim? We have several Ericsons in both harbors. I happen to berth in PA. If you do, perhaps we can share a beer.

Leela's home port is in Victoria. We haven't actually made the trip to PA with her yet, usually cruising around the gulf and San Juan islands.

bolbmw

Member III
Sounds like an amazing experience. That hydro generator is no joke. Wonder if it could have provided air conditioning for some of the time?

If the boat speed was high enough you may just be able to, depending on the other loads. It's output is exponential with boat speed, and of course produces 24/7 unlike solar.