• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Raymarine EV-100 Autopilot

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I am replacing the worn out ST4000 Autohelm and the instructions state one of the components to be no closer than 3 feet from wiring. Sheesh, on my boat that would be, uh, nowhere on the boat.
I am thinking of giving it my best shot in placement and if it works- great, if not, relocate. Any thoughts?

L

Leslie Newman

The EV-1 unit is less susceptible to magnetic interference than the flux gate compass was. If the flux gate compass was working before, the EV-1 will have no problems. FYI - this is where I put mine:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...e-settings-E32-3&p=94104&viewfull=1#post94104

It works great.

I installed the EV-1 in my E380 at the base of the salon hanging locker that is next to the chart table. Also have the Vesper XB-8000 unit in there, with MUX-100 and antenna splitter. I then cut a piece of teak and holly plywood to fit a floor into the locker that protects the EV-1. And a snap cover of Sunbrella covering the electronics on the side. It has all been working extremely well. The autopilot tracks straight as an arrow. Just this past weekend I installed a Garmin 942xs with 4kv radar. Tied the Garmin into the Seatalk backbone. It is picking up the GPS data from the Vesper and heading data from the EV-1. It's all integrating nicely together.
This pic is before all the electronics were complete and before I installed the plywood floor.

Vesper2.jpg

Slick470

Member III
I have a Raymarine EV-100 as well. On a 30 foot boat it is also hard to keep the sensor core away from anything with a magnetic field. My current install point is about 2 feet away from potential sources and I've had issues with the drive tracking for about a second then slowly performing a hard over. Reading up on the support forums this is typically caused by phase reversal on the motor inputs, but I've switched the wires back and forth and I still have the same problem either way.

My best guess at this point Is that the sensor core is too close to the drive unit and the operation of the drive is what is throwing off the sensor, but it's just a wag at this point.

I'd also love to update to the latest software to rule out any potential problems with that, but the rest of my instruments are B&G and you need a Ray MFD to update anything Ray. I'm casually keeping an eye out for an older Ray MFD on ebay to see if I can score a good deal. Seems kinda dumb though.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mine is smack dab on the nav station bulkhead, about as close to the wiring behind it as you can get. Works fine.

1-upper panel 2-001.JPG

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I've been plinking away at installing it the last few nights and finished today. Seems well made. The instructions are like a puzzle. What's up with that? Seems way more complicated than it needs to be. Anyway did the dockside initialization. So far so good. It is getting too hot to be outside anymore today. Maybe this evening or tomorrow morning I'll get out in the bay for the rest of the set up.

Had to wire it for 7 amps. What's it supposed to do: arc weld?

I installed the EV1 on the aft galley athwart-ship bulkhead like Grampa and the other thing in the lazerette.

Got to get a [FONT=&amp]SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter kit so I can use my remote fob. More Money. sheesh. I love boats.[/FONT]

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
There's a piece of hardware on your old Autohelm I'd be interested in purchasing from you (the locking lever on the bottom part of the belt attachment) - feel free to DM if you have it / are willing to part with parts.

mfield

Member III
Mine is smack dab on the nav station bulkhead

Mine is in the exact same place on an E35-3. I was able to install it using only the cables contained in the kit. The accutator is located in the quarterberth near nav-table and the control head on right side of the cockpit. The control head is slightly larger than the ST4000 head and the hole had to be enlarged.

I would have liked to put the sensor in the same place as GrandPaSteve but the propane relay switch is there.

L

Leslie Newman

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I've been plinking away at installing it the last few nights and finished today. Seems well made. The instructions are like a puzzle. What's up with that? Seems way more complicated than it needs to be. Anyway did the dockside initialization. So far so good. It is getting too hot to be outside anymore today. Maybe this evening or tomorrow morning I'll get out in the bay for the rest of the set up.

Had to wire it for 7 amps. What's it supposed to do: arc weld?

I installed the EV1 on the aft galley athwart-ship bulkhead like Grampa and the other thing in the lazerette.

Got to get a [FONT=&amp]SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter kit so I can use my remote fob. More Money. sheesh. I love boats.[/FONT]

I have that Seatalk to Seatalkng converter kit. Unopened. I was going to expand my electronics that came with the boat, then replaced it all when the radar dome crapped out. The Raymarine C80 I pulled out is fine. And I had bought that converter kit I won't be using.
We can probably come to some agreement on the kit.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Hi Leslie, as luck would have it I will be in Richmond most of Friday and could pick it up. Is this it: [FONT=&quot]Raymarine part number E22158?
[/FONT]
What were you thinking of asking for it? PM me if you wish.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Chris, it's in pretty rough shape but it all works. The cables have been cut and I have all manuals.

I don't know- beyond shipping, maybe 50 bucks?

CSMcKillip

Chris, it's in pretty rough shape but it all works. The cables have been cut and I have all manuals.

I don't know- beyond shipping, maybe 50 bucks?

i am on a lake, need to set the main sail and job by myself..but would love to have it. Email me at mckillip.c@gmail.com and I can setup a PayPal as a gift and I will pay for shipping.

so excited!!!!

Chris McKillip

Last edited:

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
It was easy to do the underway initializing. I turned it on and it started automatically. After a circle it beeped when finished. So I handed the sails and was off on an early morning sail- before it got murderous hot. Test sat, test complete. It worked very well.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...the "hard over time" setting.

Very useful. I just went through this with my ST-5, and yes, the "hard-over time" math is counter-intuitive.

I found a combination of "hard-over time", "rudder limit" and "auto-turn" that works well for auto-tacking. It swings through a tack crisply, but not at "bat-turn" speed, allowing me time to release the old jibsheet, move the traveler, grind in the new jibsheet, and get back behind the helm as the boat comes down onto the new course.

As you say, steering by pressing buttons is the new normal...