• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 34 for sale 1987

Mike Paterson

I'm putting Blitzen up for sale and she will be on the hard at Stones Marina in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) for a few days getting polished and new anti foul paint if anyone is interested in checking her out.

I'm attaching a link below (big file) for the last survey (2013) rather than try and describe everything. New since then are a dinghy and battery charger.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!As6cnt5MpoiIgXsxszkofwHuVuCG

I'm thinking of mid $50k Canadian asking.

She has been a wonderful, rock solid and classy boat and has many years life left in her. No smell, no leaks.

Mike Paterson
250-244-3799
250-240-9524 mobile
nanoosemike@gmail.com

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just an opinion, but I would let the prospective buyer survey it. It would be hard for me to accept a survey I didn't pay for and participate in.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Mike,

I'm with Christian on the survey. Your 2013 survey will convey fairly recent condition and help describe the boat but I wouldn't spend money on a survey of your own. I would let the prospective buyers control that aspect and use the cost of a survey to help deter any not-so-serious parties.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice!

I read your survey and the boat sure does seem to be in very good condition. Heck, I might buy it if we had not just poured approx 15K into a new engine and surrounding systems. :rolleyes:
(That separate fridge and freezer in the E-34 is something special, IMHO.)

Best of luck to you and the new owner is going to get a Great boat. I once buddy-boated with Bob M and his E-34 for several days, and that model is fast under sail or power.

Loren

ps: worry not about the buyer and his survey. When the check clears and the boat leaves... those are the only important considerations!

Around here, to get a slip in any moorage the owner (new owner or not) will have to show proof of insurance. To get insurance the boat owner will usually have to show a new or recent survey. If he/she needs to borrow any $ to give you that check, the lender will require a survey.
It always gets back to needing a survey.
In any case a wise buyer will *always* get a survey to know what is there now, and what needs to be done to the boat in the near term, and future maintenance to plan for.
(IMHO, and YMMV)

Last edited:

Mike Paterson

E34 sold

Hi folks,

My E34 sold. I put it on Craig's list and she was gone in 3 weeks. I talked with a broker and asked if he would act for me if it didn't sell quickly and he agreed. We discussed the selling price and the fact that his commission would be round $5,000.
I got CAD$54,000 for it and thought that was a fair price, especially with no commission to pay.

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
I agree, you did really well Mike.

I have a 1990 E34 on Lake Ontario that my Father had owned since new. When he passed in 2013, we put it up for sale, I had an E29 at the time. It was listed for 49,900 and we got an offer of 34k. In fairness, it did need a fair amount of work done which I am still working through, as well all do. So I decided at that price to sell my E29 and buy out my brother and sister's portion of the Ericson as part of the estate.

Looks like the market is pretty strong on the west coast. But then of course it is an Ericson! :egrin:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I bought my 87 E34 about 4 years ago and paid $45K. I put in another $7k to fix an engine water lead, new hoses, etc. and this year another $9k to replace standing and running rigging and do some mast refurbishment. I think I have about the same equipment so I think that $54 K is a good price but I dont think I could sell my E34 for that price.

sgwright67

Member III
Blitzen spotted at Canoe Cove

On my dock walks today, I only saw two Ericsons, and one was Blitzen, at Canoe Cove - beautiful boat. I wasn't sure of the model, so now I know. The other was a '73 E29 "Emily Bennett" on the hard at Westport, with an outboard on the back, and the prop-shaft removed. I know it's a '73 because I discovered the early 29s put the HIN down low on the transom, easy to see from below. It was interesting to inspect the hull from below, as I haven't seen a 29 out of the water before.