• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Golden Globe Race

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Christian, the windvanes these racers are using seems to be less robust than yours.

[h=3]Philippe Péché and Antoine Cousot to retire from the Race[/h]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Uh, or maybe their ocean is more robust than mine was/is.

I just finished Robin Knox-Johnson's book again. His (eccentric, unproven, clumsy) self steering system failed halfway around, and he steered by the sails or by his own hand the rest of the way.

I remember his voyage in 1968, when I was fully involved in sailing--the technology seems ancient now. He had wire halyards and winches, which became useless because the halyard brakes slipped. So did the same winches on my father's Pilot sloop. Knox-Johnson praised his roller reefing, and so did we. Turner had roller reefing on the early Tenacious. But--what a joke! The sail rolled into a bag. We used to throw a sleeping bag in it as we rolled it up.

I like this race a lot, it seems to me more than a stunt, but rather a return to the essence of the thing. Sorta like climbing without driving pitons into the rock. Or checking out women without J-Date and Tinder (my analogy is based on observation, not experience).

Bravo and tally-ho and all that, these yachtsmen are doing something memorable and worthy.