• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice on achoring out in a tighter spaces

JPS27

Member III
I've been pushing my experiences this summer. I've been sailing solo and have sailed to nearby marinas to spend the night, and have anchored out over night a couple of times in areas I know (I would equate these anchor out nights to "backyard camping"). I'm planning a trip next week, with one crew who sails but less experience than I have. Given the forecasted wind at this point, my trip will be Hampton to Cape Charles then to Mobjack Bay for a short 3 day trip. I had planned to do MB first then CC but it seems the winds would make the reverse route more pleasant, if the forecast holds.

In Mobjack bay I would like to anchor out in either the East or North Rivers. Leaning toward the East River. I'm looking for advice on anchoring out in these tributaries where the space between shore and channel appears tight. These are anchorages and are popular places to anchor, I've just never done it. You're obviously not supposed to anchor in the channel, so what should I be looking for, how to anchor safely in theses spots.

I've done research on the questions but what I find is more about setting the anchor. Thanks for helping me expand my experiences!

Jay

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Jay,

My boat is located at a dock in Back Creek which is on the "back" of Eastport. It's a short walk across Eastport and the Spa Creek bridge into downtown Annapolis. Back creek has hundreds of docked boats at marina, condo and residential docks lining the entire creek. It's 8-10 feet deep most of the length so it attracts many visiting sailboats.

Visiting sailboats anchor in the middle of the widest sections of the creek. They give each other decent swinging room so they are not anchored right on top of each other and there is plenty of room for boats to go by on either side. It's never been very tight to get by on either side even though these boats are "anchored in the channel". I've never seen a boat anchored in a narrow section of the creek or two abreast where it has been tight getting past. I'd qualify Back Creek as a busy anchorage

If I were visiting any new anchorage, particularly a quiet and secluded one, I would take notice of the local anchoring practice of any boats already anchored. Are they on one side or the other, on the edges, in the middle? I would always be aware of providing adequate space for boats to get by, space to other anchored boats and space to docks and shore facilities. If I could anchor on one side away from houses and closer to empty land I would chose it for my privacy and theirs. If I dropped anchor and wound up with my stern 30 feet off someone's screened dock-house, I would move somewhere else with more room.

I do carry a small Danforth and short rode to use as a stern anchor. If the weather is good and/or the creek is sheltered, you can use a stern anchor to keep yourself aligned along the edge of a channel or from swinging too far.

Mark

JPS27

Member III
Thanks, Mark. That helps a lot. I intend to get there with plenty of daylight to spare so I can figure things out and make adjustments as necessary. Looking foward to getting away from the container ships!

Jay

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
By making sure not to be me, you can avoid waking up at 3 a.m. with a 45 degree of heel on the Wye River. My five pals were not amused to have to kedge off a heavy 45-foot ketch at dawn.

I failed to put out a stern anchor and in the night--no wind at all--we swung quietly into shallows and the tide went out.

I had to buy breakfast.

Gary Holford

Member II
FWIW I'm from a different world where there isn't any tide or very little private property but i carry a couple of 150' shore lines that I tie to trees and rocks when swinging isn't in the cards. HPIM0861a.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Depth monitoring

Regarding the "Wye River Incident"... quite some time ago I found a deal on a Raymarine ST60 repeater and mounted it on the navigation station. When we anchor out and the boat wanders around during the night I can power up the instruments breaker and check the depth to see if we are still in 20 feet.
This happens at least once per night when getting up to make a head call.
it's an age-related situation... :rolleyes: