• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32-200 shoal draft

Sailmasterson

Hello,

I'm currently considering a 1990 32-200. She's a shoal draft and in pretty good shape. I currently own a Catalina 30 MK1 and want a nicer boat.
I live in the Puget Sound area with plenty of deep water and shoal drafts are rather rare here. I'm curious as to the performance difference of the shoal draft 32-200 vs the standard deep draft.
I value cruising over racing but do like to achieve maximum performance under sail.
Any comparison info of the two keel types would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I can't help with the shoal-draft question, but... I have a 32-III up in Everett, if you want to visit and/or go for a sail with the deep keel so you have an experience to compare when you look at the shoal-draft version, let me know.

Bruce

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I own a 32-3 and sail on the Chesapeake Bay where having a shoal keel (mine is 4'-3") really does come in handy but it's not a necessity, of course. You just have to be aware of your surroundings. We just cruise and it seems to me that our boat points very well. As far as that goes I'm sure a lot of other factors come into play as to how close you can sail. We just replaced our aged sails (original to our 1987 boat) with a new set and it was almost like sailing a different boat! We point higher and over all, when trimmed properly, sail faster. But may I suggest that if your heart is really set on the 32-200 and you're willing to "live" with a shoal keel, not having a deep keel may help in getting the price down. :) "Gee, I really wanted a deep keeled boat, can you bring the price down a bit for that?" Half kidding here but also a bit serious. All in all I think you'd be very happy with the Ericson 32. We still get compliments about how nice her lines are from strangers just walking by and I think she's an easy boat to sail. But that's just my 2 cents.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello,

I'm currently considering a 1990 32-200. She's a shoal draft and in pretty good shape. I currently own a Catalina 30 MK1 and want a nicer boat.
I live in the Puget Sound area with plenty of deep water and shoal drafts are rather rare here. I'm curious as to the performance difference of the shoal draft 32-200 vs the standard deep draft.
I value cruising over racing but do like to achieve maximum performance under sail.
Any comparison info of the two keel types would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

I never heard of a 32-II with a draft other than the 4’ 11”. ...When living in Florida and cruising areas of Ft. lauderdal all around to Tarpon Springs, including Ft. Jefferson and most of the Bahamas - it worked out just fine. Seems the shallower your draft, the more trouble one is apt to get into. We always simply explored the shallows with our dingy.