• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

free Barient 21 winches

eknebel

Member III
I have finally upgraded to self tailing winches, and have 2 functional Barient 21, 2 speed winches, with some spare pawls and springs. The local used boat parts chandlery wont even take non self tailing winches. So if you are on a budget, these are priced right, just pay shipping from Annapolis, md.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Why Knot

If no one else is interested I'll gladly take them. They can be used to help me take the mast off of the top of the boat when I bring it home for the winter.

vincentshine

Member I
late to the winch party - replacement question

I am a bit late on this thread but was doing research to do the exact thing, replace my Barient 21's with self tailing. What did you replace them with? Ours look lioke a 6 hole patter for installation. hoping for something similar.

Thanks for any info.

Vincent

I have finally upgraded to self tailing winches, and have 2 functional Barient 21, 2 speed winches, with some spare pawls and springs. The local used boat parts chandlery wont even take non self tailing winches. So if you are on a budget, these are priced right, just pay shipping from Annapolis, md.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am a bit late on this thread but was doing research to do the exact thing, replace my Barient 21's with self tailing. What did you replace them with? Ours look lioke a 6 hole patter for installation. hoping for something similar.

Thanks for any info.

Vincent

Little bit of thread drift here, but kind of related....
IF you can source some plain-top Barient or Barlow winches, check out converting them. Some years ago I met the guy that owns a machine shop that makes this product and got to look and touch the conversion. The quality was very apparent.
http://winchmate.com

Note that WM has a 2-for-1 sale on Lewmar winches every spring, also. I recently upgraded both of our housetop winches from 30ST to 40ST winches. (Just sold the 30ST winches to another club member, as well.)

Happy hunting!
:)

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Little bit of thread drift here, but kind of related....
IF you can source some plain-top Barient or Barlow winches, check out converting them. Some years ago I met the guy that owns a machine shop that makes this product and got to look and touch the conversion. The quality was very apparent.
http://winchmate.com

Note that WM has a 2-for-1 sale on Lewmar winches every spring, also. I recently upgraded both of our housetop winches from 30ST to 40ST winches. (Just sold the 30ST winches to another club member, as well.)

Happy hunting!
:)
Was there ever a time you felt the 30ST underpowered?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Was there ever a time you felt the 30ST underpowered?
The 30ST the stock OEM winch for both sides of the housetop, on our model. They were OK for hoisting sails, but too 'small' when hoisting someone up the mast. I also had to really lean on my 10" T-top winch handle when using one of the size 30 winches to raise our former Universal diesel up from the inside of the boat, that being a dead lift of about 250#, after removing some parts.

Our boat came with the factory winch upgrade option for primary and secondary winches, however, and we have been reasonably happy with the Lewmar 46ST primaries. (larger would be even better, but not really needed...)

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Thanks Loren. Do you (or anyone else reading this) feel that self tailers are a must? I keep seeing a used pair of Barient 21 winches for sale locally for a great price. The lines I'd like to run to the cockpit won't be played, just winched in tight and left there. Right now I can hoist the main until it comes up hard at the masthead, and pull the clew of a reef to less than 2' of where it needs to be.
I need some help talking myself into buying these 21s! :oops:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Um, if you have ST winches, you can put both hands/arms/shoulders into pressure on the handle. Otherwise you use one hand for the handle and one for tailing. And then you still need either a clutch stopper or other form of cleat for the line. No wrong answers, just choices and options, as has been said before. :)

One picture shows me exerting my 210# and middle aged muscle to do the dead lift on that old engine. It was difficult as heck, and equivalent to grinding someone up the mast. A larger winch (higher numerical ratio) is like insurance against a lot of difficulties, IMHO.