• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Drain Problem

Joed7

I am a new owner of a 1983 E 30+. After washing down the decks today I noticed only one cockpit drain is draining. I believe the problem relates to fine debris from local vegetation perhaps clogging the drain line at a low spot. Tried to follow the drain tubes visually but lost them. Then ran a hose several feet down the clogged drain line and did push up much debris, but did not unclog.

Question: Where do the cockpit drains go to discharge water? Do they meet and combine somewhere or do they remain independent drain lines? How to best unclog?

Thanks

Pzovic

On my 1983 E30+, the cockpit drain lines discharge through separate through-hull fittings with the lines crossing - the starboard line crosses and drains on the port side and the port draining starboard. This keeps cockpit from flooding when heeling (when the drainlines and cockpit are under the water line)

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On my 1984 E30+ the lines do not cross, but don't fill the cockpit when heeling either. The starboard hose goes straight down from the cockpit to a separate thru hull. The seacock for it is under the quarter berth cushion in a port hole. The port hose comes forward to connect to the same thru hull as the galley sink.
Frank

tenders

Innocent Bystander
It is possible that the through-hull valve connected to that hose is closed. You do need to know where each of the boat’s through-hulls are located, and what is connected to them. They are holes in the boat and should be checked several times a season for integrity. They should probably NOT be closed for the winter season, though - you need them to be open to drain rain/snowmelt.

Joed7

Thanks

Gentlemen, thank you for your input, much appreciated.

In my case (1983 E 30+) here is what I found after a couple hours with my head below decks and into various compartments. Cockpit drain lines do not cross. Indeed, the starboard drain line valve at the thru-hull was closed and apparently long forgotten. It was also clogged with settled and compacted debris from local vegetation. Opening the valve and a simple flush with a hose did the job.

Pzovic, are you sure about your lines crossing? This is certainly the case with other models, but I find it quite interesting that two boats of the same model and year would have such fundamentally different configurations.

This issue has lead me to investigating my boats other systems more deeply and of course, new questions. I'll start new threads on those as they are different issues.

Thanks for your help! Joe

csoule13

Member III
Joe - I think the lines crossing is a recommended best practice, but isn't something universally enforced. My old man and I have the lines crossed on the '83 30+, but when I purchased my Cape Dory 27, everything was run straight to thru hulls. YMMV, I think.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
However you do it, eliminate sag which leaves standing water in the hoses. It catches glop over the years. They can usually be tied up.

An annual flush with a hose after removing the drain cover keeps them free of bugs and leaf debris.