• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 30+ water heater

MarkH

I have an E 30+ that we have been spending a bunch of time on straightening
out the plumbing. I am confused about the water heater. I see in the documents
that their is an option for an LPG water heater, since I do not seem to have LPG tank I assume that option is not installed in out boat. There appears to be a swictch for a water heater below the galley sink. We have never gotten any hot water out of it except by running the engine. Is there an electric water heater in the standard boat?

idon’t want to spend a bunch of time and effort on repairing a water heater if it doesn’t exist

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
H2o

If you're getting hot water when and after running the engine then a water heater must be present. Or else your water lines are run real close to the engine and are picking heat by proximity. Highly unlikely. What engine do you have in the boat and how is it cooled? You should be able to trace the water lines from the manifold to the various faucets. On my 28 there's three, one for the galley, one for the head and one located in the cockpit.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
water heater

On Discovery (Ericson 1983 30+), the hot water heater was located under the cockpit and found by lifting the port side lazerette and hanging upside down.

I removed Discovery's heater because it had rusted through. Note, the hot water fuse is located under the sink, make sure to turn the fuse off (push button) before touching anything with wires as this is the AC side of the electrical system.

MJS

MarkH

Continuing water heater repair

So it seems that the standard water heater is a raritan 6 gallon and we probably burned it out by feed it electric without the tank having adequate water. I see that heating element is available from several firms for $25 to $45, and anode is available for $75 to $100. Is there a reasonable way to see which of these items most likely need replacement without tearing the system apart? Also I am 66 yrs old and 6’5” access to this device doesn’t seem easy on my boat. People say pen the seat and hang upside down, not easy for me any advice here.

Thanks for for any input

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One thing to consider is whether electric hot water is necessary. I guess so, if living aboard at a dock plugged in. Otherwise--?

As for access--family members of small stature, gender or age related--can be dragooned, bribed or begged into assistance. And it keeps them at a distance thereafter. I have several now who won't even make eye contact.

L-G Harvey

Member I
I would think twice before investing in repairing the Raritan hot water heater. It will almost inevitably rust at the base and leak. Mine has been disconnected from the system for some time after it rusted out. If I needed hot water I'd consider buying a new smaller tank.

Best,
Louis

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

On our 1984 E30+, the hot water tank sits in the cockpit locker, very visible as an aluminum box with hoses going in and out, measures about 12 inches by 8 inches by 10 inches (from memory). Mine is a Seaview hot water tank and I have seen them advertised for about $250. It does have a reset button, like resetting a fuse, so if yours has one of those I would try resetting it. Our tank also fills automatically through our plumbing system, so maybe yours does as well and you haven't burned it out. If yours is a different make (Raritan), maybe you can find a manual on line to help you.

Regarding your age and size, you may need to figure out a way to get into your port side cockpit locker. Unless you are quite frail or disabled, you should be able to do this, despite your size (I'm 67 but shorter at 5'8"). There are many maintenance tasks that require you to get in there--checking/replacing the pencil zinc, changing tranny fluid, removing the heat exchanger for cleaning, oiling the steering cable, tightening hose clamps, etc. You many find it easiest to stand in the locker, then ease your way down with feet first towards the stern, shimmying your way along til your feet are as far back as possible, almost touching the transom and then bending yourself in there. It's not fun, but it can be done. Good luck!

Frank

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
H2O heater

We enjoy the benefits of a water heater. I'm the bottle washer and appreciate hot water at the dock and anchor. Our present 87' E-28 did not come with a one. The original Raritan had ben removed because it was leaking. I had a rectangular Seaward 5 gal. salvaged from my E-28 project. There was no way it would fit in the existing configuration of lazerette and engine compartment. I dismantled the Seaward stainless cabinet and cylindrical storage tank. I installed it by cutting away a non structural portion of the engine compartment and moving the various pieces into the space available one piece at a time and reinstalling them. It took a little bit of thought but was certainly doable. I'm 69. Take the time to think things through and they can be done. I also upgraded the insulation around the cylindrical storage tank with ceramic wool blanket and the hot water lasts much longer when away from the dock.