• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why isn’t there a forum for “What is this for $500 please?”

907Juice

Continuously learning
Got down to the boat today and did my routine checks. I lifted up the bilge hatches and found this. My sniffer doesn’t work very well, but I thought I could smell diesel. It is is floating brown mass. I don’t have a holding tank and the portipotty is empty so it can’t be that. I’ve been noticing it off and on over the past year or so. Any help is appreciated.

Juice3426CCFC-EE80-49B4-A3AF-2C50CF0A36E3.jpgA0766B0C-BB9E-49DD-ACD2-DD3201AF1F4B.jpg

907Juice

Continuously learning
It is dark now so I can maybe get a better pic tomorrow. I just wanted to get it out tonight Incase anyone knows where to start.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
Is there enough volume to scoop up a cup full in a plastic cup to see if it separates into water and oil or fuel. It could be a water leak that picks up residual diesel or oil. If not, maybe a leak in the fuel tank?
If you have recently emptied the bilge using a bilge pump, could it be some back flow in the hose?
Frank

JSM

Member III
Had a similar situation. Water that was leaking in at the stern would flow underneath the engine and pick up oil that was dripping from the oil pan drain plug. PO claimed that it was a normal situation.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm with JSM as first likely cause. It looks like diesel.

Ladle it out, clean entire bilge with soap and water. Beware using boat bilge pump if neighbors might drop a dime on the USCG, because the penalties for oil spill are severe if you get written up.

A big oil absorbent pad kept under the engine holds drips, and also identifies their source.

If that ain't it, examine the fuel sender port on the tank. The fuel sender device is held fast only by five sheet metal screws, and if loose over time leakage occurs--often only when sailing, as the fuel slops around in the tank. Re-tap or use larger screws, change gasket and add a sealer such as Aviation Permatex.

907Juice

Continuously learning
It must've been some left over fuel from a recent fuel filter change. I cleaned it up and flushed the transom and bilge with fresh water. Voila!!! No more gunk. Thanks:)