• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-3 diesel leak

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Hate for my first legit post to be a question. Have been reading the forum for almost the past 2 yrs when I was looking at a 34-2. Flash forward and my awesome girlfriend and I purchased a 35-3 this spring. Handled allot of issues, but am stumped on how to fix a fuel leak on the high pressure pump. The fittings on top of the pump leak and can’t get it to stop. I tried tightening the fittings after removing the tubes to the injectors but no help. It drips about 1 drop every 3 seconds off the oil pan at idle. If this isn’t bad enough sopping up fuel from under the engine, it is also finding a way into the bilge as well.

Any help appreciated as I couldn’t find anything searching.

Glyn Judson

Stopping that darned fuel leak.

Dear friend, Longer than I can count back when I was a teenager, I had an automatic transmission leak that was driving me nuts. I tightened the fitting as far as I dared with no positive result. I was casually chatting with an attendant at a gas station one late night who professed that he could fix the leak in mere minutes if I'd just trust him, so I did. After removing the fitting from the side of the trans, he masked off the area with paper and tape and deftly sprayed aluminum spray paint (silver paint) on the male threads. I think even before the paint had a chance to dry, he reinstalled it and as if by magic the leak was gone forever. There is also an automotive copper-based liquid that can be applied with a brush in the can lid and I'm sure it would give the same result. It's cheap and could just solve your problems forever as it did with mine. Let us know the outcome, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey CA

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have a Universal diesel, it's a Kubota engine.

Our engines are used in hundreds of thousands of tractors worldwide.

Every farmer has to fix his own tractor, with the result that there is an endless supply of specific diagnosis and repair know-how circulating via Google.

Google "Kubota fuel injector leak" or similar.

Buy Kubota parts, not Universal or Westerbeke.

907Juice

Continuously learning
I’m not familiar with that engine, but try new copper washers and or banjo bolts. Or at least, take them off run them through a wire wheel. Maybe there is a small burr or something. New washers and bolts are a cheap troubleshoot.

Juice

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
I had a similar problem with the fuel pump connection, tried everything, finally tried Stop Leak, which I bought at a hardware store. It worked great, and I've also used it as gasket in home plumbing. It's impervious to fuel, so it's ideal for your purpose.
Frank

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
The engine is a Universal M25 which was rebuilt 2 owners ago and know the guy who did it. He had no suggestions on stopping the leak other than snugging the fittings.

I had tried googling Universal M25, Westerbeke and Kubota D850 before posting here, and am still searching outside the box.

All I could find is this is not to be tampered with,unless qualified, due to the fuel timing. I wish I could pull the fittings on top of the pump and replace a seal or use thread sealant but am apprehensive about messing up the fuel timing.

It is possible the leak is from the steel tube nut but don’t see diesel above the top plate of the pump. Leads me to believe it is the fitting screwed directly into the top of the pump.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Did you Google "Kubota Fuel Injector leak"? Numerous videos and discussions of what appears to be a common problem.

Or do I misunderstand your issue.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
93BAA125-94DA-48BE-95AB-FEAD6692BC23.jpeg
This is the leak on the high pressure fuel pump fitting I have been trying to describe and find a solution to.
Hopefully a pic is worth a thousand words

markvone

Sustaining Member
All I could find is this is not to be tampered with,unless qualified, due to the fuel timing. I wish I could pull the fittings on top of the pump and replace a seal or use thread sealant but am apprehensive about messing up the fuel timing.

It is possible the leak is from the steel tube nut but don’t see diesel above the top plate of the pump. Leads me to believe it is the fitting screwed directly into the top of the pump.

I have a 1981 Universal 5424, the predecessor to the M25. I just removed that very fitting and the rigid fuel pipe to the center cylinder to get at the center glow plug this past spring. There is no problem tightening or removing those fuel line fittings other than bleeding the fuel line when you are done. If I remember the bottom is 19mm and the top is 17mm. You should be able to snug the bottom while holding the top and see if the leak is fixed. The bleed fitting is the nut to the right of your pencil in the picture which is turning blue from previous use. The Kubota engine is blue under the Universal gold paint which flakes off pretty easily.

I asked here and googled the internet before I took my line off. After watching this video I realized I was being WAY to worried about working on this engine. This guy didn't even bleed the lines or re-time the pump after a fuel pump seal change!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A2256FE26DDFADCA7225A2256FE26DDF&&FORM=VRDGAR

Google: kubota fuel pump repair to see how every lawn guy keeps his little Kubota diesel running. FWIW, I did learn that the fuel timing is adjusted by rotating the guts below the rigid injector line, BELOW the top plate and after removing the next level of bolts.

Mark

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Repairs finished

I finally located parts to properly repair the pump leaks from a Kubota dealer. The part numbers are shown below along with parts removed from the pump.
5E4D17E2-ED65-4056-842B-CD44DE9DBA5C.jpeg
Disasembly was fairly straight forward with no special tools required. The tubing from the pump to the injectors was removed using a 17mm open end wrench. The fittings on the pump were removed using a 19mm socket.
The biggest challenge was cleaning the chipped paint and debris from the area and parts. We did our best to remove any contamination before reassembly, to avoid pump and injector issues.
6F1FE05C-768F-4BDE-8DB0-C367CCF41090.jpeg
Shown below are the fitting with new o-ring installed, seal and other parts ready for final cleaning before installation. On pump fittings 2&3 the copper seal was crushed and had to be carefully pried from the fitting.
784CB442-0C01-4CCC-9CF8-17C957DEDD26.jpeg
Everything ready to have the fitting put back in place
BBE03775-57A0-4ABF-A2EC-894D8EDB1F8B.jpg
The fitting went back on easily and we repeated the process on the other two.
We did notice the ID of the tube to #3(shortest pipe) was slightly smaller than the other 2. Reinstalled as is but seemed odd???
35325FFC-8015-4D65-9965-DD006492F08E.jpeg
After final assembly, we bled the air from the pump and tubing to the injectors. The engine runs pretty smooth, for a diesel, and finally no more leaks!:egrin: