• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Makana's first race

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I was going for a sail on Friday evening, and - on a whim - decided to tag along with the last casual Friday-night ("log dodge") race of the season.

Though I already know and love the way this boat sails, I was pleasantly surprised at how competitive she was... even with "just me" against fully-crewed boats.

Got a decent start (a little late, but mostly wanted to stay out of the way of the boats that were "serious"), 5th out of the river, traded tacks with people on the beat up to "G" mark, 4th around the weather mark, and then did pretty well on the off-wind leg until the tackline on my spinnaker decided to stop cooperating. Lost a few minutes getting the kite back in hand, headsail reached down to the leeward mark, and played follow-the-fleet the rest of the way.

But... with all that, I finished the course and even got a small trophy for 2nd in "C". Turns out the PHRF rating for this boat is almost like cheating (grin)

Learned a lot. Very happy with the way the boat handles, definitely might bring a few more hands if I do this again. We'll see.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I thought you had healed.

(laughing) fair point. Let's call it a relapse.

It was fun, but a one-off. I've successfully resisted a whole variety of invitations to race on other people's boats.... just not interested in rejoining that game. And, on reflection, have exactly zero interest in putting together a crew.

I think this was a mis-step on my journey to becoming the sailboat equivalent of a "soul surfer". Simply enjoying the feeling of borrowing the (wind's) spirit for a while... there's nothing better.