• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter cover -- The Canvas Store vs. North Shore Canvas

c.gustafson

Member II
Hello Mates,

I recently sold my 1980 Ericson 30+ and have purchased a 1987 Ericson 38-200. I need to purchase a winter cover for the 38-200. I've received quotes from The Canvas Store and North Shore Canvas -- North Shore is a little more expensive. I'd appreciate feedback on the quality of winter covers made by these manufacturers. Thanks!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello Mates,

I recently sold my 1980 Ericson 30+ and have purchased a 1987 Ericson 38-200. I need to purchase a winter cover for the 38-200. I've received quotes from The Canvas Store and North Shore Canvas -- North Shore is a little more expensive. I'd appreciate feedback on the quality of winter covers made by these manufacturers. Thanks!

Interesting....

Here in Michigan those heavy canvass knuckle buster covers have given way to easier to handle plastic shrink wrapping.

Many of us have gone in together, purchased the equipment to do it yourself and help each other at season’s end. We’ve constructed conduit framework to tent the boats and learned the ins and outs of shrink wrapping, which isn’t that difficult to do.

We’ve learned to even get a couple seasons out of one cover with care in removing it come spring.

Worth consideration and food food for thought.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Covers

It would also be wise to check other boating sites to see what might be for sale. There may be something out there that, with a little modification, might work for much less money. If you have money to burn it may not be of interest.

Ken Haneline

Member II
Interesting....

Here in Michigan those heavy canvass knuckle buster covers have given way to easier to handle plastic shrink wrapping.

I shrink wrap on the north shore of Cleveland. It holds up against the snow, ice and wind very well if properly installed. Ken

e38 owner

Member III
I keep the boat in Utah and have made two covers from 18 oz vinyl. First one lasted 15 years. Just built second one last year. You need a little over 50 yards. I would be happy to provide some instruction. Took about 20 hours. The cover is glued so not much sewing. The first year I used a pipe system to support the cover. Now I just remove the stantions poles. Use spinnaker pole boom and a couple of 2x4 supports. Takes about 2 hours to cover the boat. I made the cover in two pieces as I want a minimum of seams zipper etc they just tear after a few years. The first cover was in two colors. Blue on the top and white for the rest. The blue helped warm up the boat and melt the snow when the sun came out. I replaced the cover because the uv eventually got to the blue. The white was still in pretty good shape. Pm if you like. I shrunk wrap b4 the winter cover years ago. Just took too long. Like above we all went in the equipment and rented a portable scaffold

Last edited: