• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38-200 Reverse Against 2 Knot Current?

David Grimm

E38-200
I will be sailing my new E38-200 from Maryland to New York next Tuesday and the place I want to dock it in NY is the Shadows Marina on the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie. There are currently no Sail Boats at this marina due to the 2 knot current of which changes direction with the tide. The longest member with a sailboat only lasted 2 years! The marina is basically a suspended dock right on the open edge of the river. Aside from being unprotected from current the water is deep and the place has all the amenities one could want including a restaurant with dockside service! Makes the wife happy. The The dock master said that if the boat had enough power to overcome the current and sit still in the water in reverse I should be ok. He said he would put me on the inside of the outer dock for the rest of the season if I and the boat fail to get it in the slip. Do you think the Universal M80 30hp has what it takes?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Shouldn't be a problem...

A good strong engine in a great boat.
3 bladed prop would be best for this, if you have folding prop make sure pulling fully and adjust for prop walk.
Lots of boats on rivers experience this. The Columbia in the NW, especially in the spring run off.
Enjoy the sail, take pictures and post

kapnkd

kapnkd
I will be sailing my new E38-200 from Maryland to New York next Tuesday and the place I want to dock it in NY is the Shadows Marina on the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie. There are currently no Sail Boats at this marina due to the 2 knot current of which changes direction with the tide. The longest member with a sailboat only lasted 2 years! The marina is basically a suspended dock right on the open edge of the river. Aside from being unprotected from current the water is deep and the place has all the amenities one could want including a restaurant with dockside service! Makes the wife happy. The The dock master said that if the boat had enough power to overcome the current and sit still in the water in reverse I should be ok. He said he would put me on the inside of the outer dock for the rest of the season if I and the boat fail to get it in the slip. Do you think the Universal M80 30hp has what it takes?

Three words come to mind - "Practice, Practice, Practice". Get used to using your reverse gear to learn the advantages and disadvantages of torque (prop walk) when backing or slowing your vessel. I have a couple friends at our club with E-38's and have crewed with them. The 38 is a nimble and responsive boat for sure with plenty of power although reverse takes a few seconds to take hold - especially if you have a folding prop.

With my E-32, I can actually spin the boat 180 degrees on her own lines using forward and reverse in a calculated manner. When turning into my slip (to the port side) still with some forward motion, she'll actually stop and spin even against the torque lining me straight up with my dock. A bit more forward takes her straight in. ...A slight bit more reverse just after securing the bow snugs her stern up to the dock allowing me to simply drop the stern line over the post.

I'm sure you'll do fine with some practice and then no worries. Above all use use common sense, plan ahead and the use the currents or tide to your advantage whenever possible. (Don't forget to allow and compensate for any heavier winds that may also be present.)

-fair winds

p.gazibara

Member III
2kts isn't bad, my electric drive can handle that. One thing that will always help... Timing. Get yourself in sync with the tide tables.

Trickiest part is controlling the boat in reverse in a current. As said before, practice practice practice!

-P

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Also, you'll need enough momentum to get into your slip, but there's a saying: take it slow, only as fast as you want to hit the dock (hopefully not, but you get the idea). Many people panic and start gunning the throttle, not good.
Also, if it's not looking good, abort and try again rather than trying to fix a flawed start.
Good luck!
Frank