• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2019 NW Rendezvous - ideas?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Too soon?

I know there's a tradition of swapping back and forth between US and BC locations. I... wonder if it is time to switch that up.

Last year in Langley was almost all US boats. This year in BC it was predominantly Canadian boats, with a few dedicated US cruisers who used is as a jumping-off point for their trip north. Granted, it's a small sample-size, but it seems to me that we're leaving out a lot of our community....

I wonder if it would make more sense to pick a more central location for 2019. Some place that might collect a larger gathering. Port Angeles? Port Townsend? Anacortes? Friday Harbor? Ludlow?

I'll go wherever it ends up... but thought it might be worth sparking a conversation while we still have a lot of time to plan.

And, separately, I wonder if there's any interest in doing a south-Sound mini-gathering. There are Ericsons in Tacoma, in Olympia, in Seattle, in Gig Harbor and Bremerton, etc, and... it might be fun to do an event somewhere (Bainbridge? Poulsbo) to entice those who may not have plans to travel farther north.

Thoughts?

Bruce

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We haven't attended a Rendezvous in over ten years. The big June and early July gatherings just haven't matched with our plans and other commitments. A Puget Sound mini-rendezvous would be fun. An elaborate one is not necessary. After the smoke problems we experienced in Washington and Canada this year, in August particularly, we may be switching to a May-June start for our longer cruises to the north.

This year we met C.A. and Wanda (Nimue) and Joe and Helga (In Sync) in Melanie Cove. We were introduced to the Canadian Happy Hour and loved it. Dawn Treader was also in Melanie Cove, but we didn't get to meet them. Later, on the way south, we happened to anchor near In Sync in Clam Bay and had another great visit with them. These were just the Ericson boats. There were several other couples we met and got to know during the cruise. It was great to get back out after losing the last two seasons.

Anyway, we'll be interested in both in the coming year.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Bruce,

Regarding your question about choosing a more central location for the 2019 Rendezvous, I think that's a good idea. It was held previously about five years ago in Port Townsend--Brion Toss who wrote books on rigging gave a very useful talk and rig tuning demonstration, and he might be persuaded to do something similar again. As well, Port Townsend is such a wonderful little place to visit. We would try to attend if it were there. :)

There are also other options in the San Juan Islands that are pretty close to the border. The renovated Deer Harbour Marina and Friday Harbour come to mind. While the latter marina is very large, the town is fun to visit.

Frank

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Port Townsend is a pretty good spot close on the border with nice town and amenities available. On the flip side I'd probably say Sidney, BC going the other way. Both have customs clearance options so you don't need to make an extra stop (in PT you have to make advance reservations and wait for customs to come down to your boat, there are no customs facilities at the marinas).

For a mini get together further south Dockton on Vashon is a nice getaway that often isn't very crowded but no nearby amenities. Bremerton is pretty nice too with several nice restaurants within walking distance. I always thought it would be noisy and bumpy being right next to the ferry dock, but surprisingly it isn't.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Port Townshend and Vashon are about what I feel comfortable with sailing at this point in my limited experience :) Would love to meet y'all (and ogle your boats!)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Anacortes Cap Sante or Bellingham?

Bellingham and Anacortes. I thought I'd mention these two destinations as USA-side possibilities. A route to either of these two ports can avoid crossing the two big straits - Georgia or Juan de Fuca. Both towns have plenty of amenities and an interesting history. I haven't been to the marinas in Bellingham, but Cap Sante in Anacortes is a great facility.