• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New to me Ericson 25

cagarren

Member I
Woohoo! Just bought a family sailboat. Its an 76 Ericson 25 centerboard model with a cute little inboard diesel. Its in pretty good shape but the more I crawl through her the more stuff I see needs fixed. Thanks in advance for all the newbie questions I will probably ask on this awesome forum:).

Attachments

• boaty1.jpg
    boaty1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 573

kapnkd

kapnkd
Woohoo! Just bought a family sailboat. Its an 76 Ericson 25 centerboard model with a cute little inboard diesel. Its in pretty good shape but the more I crawl through her the more stuff I see needs fixed. Thanks in advance for all the newbie questions I will probably ask on this awesome forum:).

Congrats on your purchase of an Ericson! ...”You have chosen wisely” to quote an old movie line from Indiana Jones that is apropos to the occasion. I say this as an owner of an Ericson I’ve owned now for 45 years that is still going STRONG.

Do visit this site often for advise or just to pick up great tidbits of info for future use. Whatever problems you may encounter, one of us will certainly have been there, done it and have even completely worn out that particular T-shirt.

We hope to see you here often and sharing your problems, solutions and more importantly - your adventures and growth in sailing!

Fair Winds
-kerry

knodere

Erik Knoder
Congratulations!

This looks like an Ericson from Bend that I was tempted to look at myself. I haven't seen many centerboard boats with diesels. I hope that you enjoy it.

cagarren

Member I
Yep

This looks like an Ericson from Bend that I was tempted to look at myself. I haven't seen many centerboard boats with diesels. I hope that you enjoy it.

It sure is, I've also been watching it since it popped up. Rare boat for this neck of the woods. Finally got over to have a gander and ended up hauling her home :).

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
It sure is, I've also been watching it since it popped up. Rare boat for this neck of the woods. Finally got over to have a gander and ended up hauling her home :).

i was down in Bend for a thing in June, and saw an Ericson on a trailer in a parking lot down in the south end of town (near the Walmart). Wonder if it was yours... pretty boat, it caught my eye!

wavydavey

Ericson 25 cb

Congrats! Just a little jealous. We are looking for the same boat. Started looking around the first of August. Can I ask you what you paid for her? Just want to know a good buy when I see it. Thanks

Good Sailing!
Dave W.

wavydavey

Ericson 25 cb

Also, if you haven't already, check out www.ericson25.com. Roscoe in North Carolina and the restoration on his boat "Oystercatcher". He has documented all the restoration work on his e25. The info and detail is amazing. All that you will need to tackle any project on your boat.

Blessings,
Dave W.

cagarren

Member I
Congrats! Just a little jealous. We are looking for the same boat. Started looking around the first of August. Can I ask you what you paid for her? Just want to know a good buy when I see it. Thanks

Good Sailing!
Dave W.

Hi Dave,

I paid $8500 which is kinda expensive but a fair price from what I was seeing around. This boats in real good shape. The center board is handy and the little Yanmar diesel is just neater than heck.

Curt

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Was the trailer included? Looks like a boat that was loved and cared for. You pay a little more but its well worth it. Good luck!

cagarren

Member I
Have you had a chance to look at the centerboard?

Yeah, our first trip out with it I couldn't get it to lower even after diving repeatedly with a crow bar trying to free it. When I got it home I was able to get it unstuck but found the bottom of the centerboard is pretty beat up and swollen hence the reason it was stuck in its slot. I will probably just replace it with a new one from rudder craft.

In hindsight I wish I would of spent more time crawling over the boat to find problems like this and using them as a negotiating tool. I was just so excited to get my first sailboat. I will probably purchase a new lifting rudder from rudder craft also eventually. The centerboard and some wood rot in the cabinets under the companionway hatch are the only major things so far and I've pretty much completely disassembled the boat for the winter project list creation.

Curt

I recently removed the centerboard from my 75 e25. It was also cracked and swollen from years of neglect in salt water. I plan to grind out the cracked and swollen portions down to something solid, then refill with epoxy and glass to original dimensions. I have the boat in a heated, dry workshop waiting to see if any cracks increase in size. So far, so good. Oystercatcher blog is a must read for any e25 owner, and is the main source of level headed refit advice that I choose to follow, along with the many tidbits of knowledge I can glean from owners on this site. Good luck.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
It's been a while but I just ordered a centerboard for my Ericson 25 from ruddercraft. Should receive it in about a month. I'll report back when I get it in. I figured that buying a new one was just a little bit more expensive that hauling out twice to remove, repair and reinstall the the old board which looks cracked and swollen. It does move in there by hand though.

Last edited:

cagarren

Member I
It's been a while but I just ordered a centerboard for my Ericson 25 from ruddercraft. Should receive it in about a month. I'll report back when I get it in. I figured that buying a new one was just a little bit more expensive that hauling out twice to remove, repair and reinstall the the old board which looks cracked and swollen. It does move in there by hand though.

Awesome! Did they specifically have to add weight to it for lowering assistance? I got kind of confused when I spoke with them on the phone. I dont know if I'll get one this season or bash the old one up some more.

So far my little off season wood repair project has turned into re-wiring the whole boat, re-sealing the portlights and deck hardware, rebuilding the companionway step assembly, refinishing the counter top, ect, ect... I sure enjoy messing with this old boat though.

boaty2.jpg

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Sure looks great. I've been considering swapping hatchboards for a "doorway" like that on my E32. Looks super sunny and clean.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Awesome! Did they specifically have to add weight to it for lowering assistance? I got kind of confused when I spoke with them on the phone. I dont know if I'll get one this season or bash the old one up some more.

So far my little off season wood repair project has turned into re-wiring the whole boat, re-sealing the portlights and deck hardware, rebuilding the companionway step assembly, refinishing the counter top, ect, ect... I sure enjoy messing with this old boat though.

View attachment 26648

wow amazing work! love that companionway, makes the boat seem bigger. .

say, have you sailed her yet? i've read a lot of information on how to fix these boats but very little regarding how they actually sail! So far all i've gotten is that the boat is extremely tender but i believe that's very subjective. The guy that sold it to me said i would be crazy to sail it in the ocean when i told him my plans are to sail it coastal ocean (previous owner in arizona) Any thoughts?

my sailing experience is hobie 18, coronado 14 and a lancer 26 which belongs to a family member.

ruddercraft told me that they do mix resin/lead shot and pour it in to ballast the centerboard. he also mentioned that their board is solid (no foam core) so i imagine it would be a lot less buoyant than the original board?

cagarren

Member I
wow amazing work! love that companionway, makes the boat seem bigger. .

say, have you sailed her yet? i've read a lot of information on how to fix these boats but very little regarding how they actually sail! So far all i've gotten is that the boat is extremely tender but i believe that's very subjective. The guy that sold it to me said i would be crazy to sail it in the ocean when i told him my plans are to sail it coastal ocean (previous owner in arizona) Any thoughts?

my sailing experience is hobie 18, coronado 14 and a lancer 26 which belongs to a family member.

ruddercraft told me that they do mix resin/lead shot and pour it in to ballast the centerboard. he also mentioned that their board is solid (no foam core) so i imagine it would be a lot less buoyant than the original board?

I've just sailed a few days with light winds and a stuck centerboard on our local lake so far. The previous owner would sail the San Juan Islands frequently and sailed some rough weather there a few times with no problem according to him.