• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

saw a picture of a block mounted on the anchor roller on a 32-3

oldfauser

Member III
We need to mount a block to our anchor roller for our new asymmetrical spinnaker; i saw on this site a picture of a SS bale attached to the stock bow anchor roller. I cannot find it! I am wonder what size bale was used (I remember the person posting saying that they had to use washers as it did not fit correctly). Reason I'm asking is that it's an hour drive to the boat and i would like to get one on order!

thanks in advance :egrin:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a picture of the stock fixture.

We know the pulpit tubing is 1". Looks to me like the span is about 2" inside diameter. So Maybe a 2.5 inch -wide bale

1-32-3 bow roller.JPG

The roller on the 38 is bigger, but you can see that a bale a little wide would easily bend.

(It took me a year to get around to hacksawing off the PO's rather inelegant bolt.)

1-anchor chocks 4.JPG

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
FWIW, I also saw somewhere a guy who claimed to be an engineer thought about it a bit, and added a mini-bob-stay from the anchor roller bolt to the lowest forestay bolt. The forestay bolt was replaced with an eye-bolt. I don't recall what size sail he was planning to fly from that, but he thought the upward load was too big for the roller alone.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
FWIW, pictures and details of the setup on my 32-III here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-quot-Bail-quot-and-ATN-TAcker&highlight=bail

IMG_2150c.jpg

I bought a Schaefer forged-steel bail, squeezed it a little to fit the anchor-roller flanges, and hold it in place with the existing FastPin. When using the assymmetrical kite, I have the tack-line running through a block clipped to that bail. When using the anchor, I pull the pin and the bail comes off.

NOTE: my assymmetrical is a light-air runner, which means there's never going to be much load on the tack-line, and most of that load will be "up" (which is the direction that whole bow-plate/headstay fitting is designed to handle). I would *not* use this setup if I were racing, or reaching in any sort of breeze.... In other words, it works for what I wanted to do, but may or may not work in a "general" sense.

Just my two cents...

Bruce

Edited to add: IIRC, I used a Schaefer 90-27 bail (cost about 50 bucks online). Nominal width is 2-1/4", I squeezed it in a vise to get it to 1-3/4" wide so that the ends would fit inside the sides of my anchor roller. it comes with holes for 1/4" fasteners, I drilled them out to fit the existing pin on the anchor roller. *IF* you have the same anchor-roller, that should work (but you may want to measure before ordering).

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
Bruce,

yours was the picture i saw! thanks - I'm going with the Schaefer 9027 as well, but going to bolt it on using thin head SS bolts so that the anchor can be left on as well

Thanks again :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bruce,

yours was the picture i saw! thanks - I'm going with the Schaefer 9027 as well, but going to bolt it on using thin head SS bolts so that the anchor can be left on as well

Thanks again :egrin:

FWIW, quite a few boats in our club have a bail mounted on the end of their anchor roller assembly, and no has ever bent one yet. My intuition is that these roller channels are built very very strong to take the force of an anchor rode in a swell. Obviously they have their stress limit, but us "summer cruisers" are never likely to experience that.

When I thru-bolted our new anchor roller, I went down thru two layers of G10, both in epoxy mush, and those go out under the deck joint to some extent. We still use a try-radial, but if changing to an A sail, I would not be afraid to tack it to that roller at all.

gadangit

Member III
I think we had #10 screws holding our bail to the anchor roller and it held just fine. We only used the spinnaker for racing and I can say for sure it was plenty loaded up on our reaching legs. And terrible trimming and driving legs too.
Chris