• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

adding spinnaker haylard to 32-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldfauser

Member III
we currently do not have a spinnaker halyard on the 32-3 that I sail on. I don't have pictures of the mast head either! Anyone have pictures of the masthead of a stock Kenyon spar with a spinnaker halyard crane? Anyone add one? We're adding an asymmetrical spinnaker so we need to add one (spinnaker halyard!)

thanks in advance!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If your boat has the original Kenyon spar system, there probably is a multi-sheave box at the top with two "wing" halyard sheaves on either side of the forestay. On the outside facing forward is a polished (well, it was polished when new) SS cage to keep these halyards from unduly chafing on the sheave boxes.

I wonder where the original halyards (or tag lines) went? Oh well, decades have come and gone.

Other owners should have strategies for getting a new set of halyards down the inside and out of the exit slots above the boom. OTOH, I would bet that the mast does have all of the slots for those missing internal halyards. Hope so anyway.

You will also have add turning blocks at the base. There may or may not be unused sheaves in your housetop "organizer" leading back to a winch. Plan B: You could alternatively install a new winch for this on a new base on the spar. There are good arguments for doing it that way.

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
the mast does have halyard slots that are unused above the boom. any pictures of the front top of a stock 32-3 masthead would be helpful!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Here's a few. I have more if you're looking for something specific.

IMG_1676s.jpg

halyards.jpg

masthead (done).jpg

masthead (up).jpg

Bruce

oldfauser

Member III
update - we do have the wing halyards - (only one is installed though)! The pictures match exactly what we have - SS guard included.
thanks again to all who replied

:egrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.