• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Restoring gelcoat

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Our E32 III which is over 30 years old needs a bit gel coat attention in the cockpit but mostly on the cabin top. We live almost two hours from the boat and this year my time was spent getting the boat in good mechanical order with a new transmission and refit on the heat exchanger. You're find a post about it on this site. So there was no real time to spend cleaning the boat up and doing some polishing at the beginning of the season like I usually do. "So call someone!", my wife said. So I did. A local (to Annapolis) boat cleaning service that sent their manger out to look Vesper over. He said that the gel coat was very oxidized (duh, I know that) and recommended that they do a "heavy duty oxidation scrub" followed by a regular washing about once a month. Also, that waxing the gel coat wouldn't do a thing to make it shine. (HUH?!) That didn't sound right to me so I have a call into another all around boat service that I've used in the past but I've not spoken to them yet.

So here I am asking my EYO friends for advice. With all the old Ericsons that you all own I'm sure to get some answers based on experience. I've polished the cockpit and cabin top before and have gotten things to shine so I'm at a loss as to what the manager of the boat cleaning service was talking about but I know that I don't know everything so....I'm asking.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
^^^ +1 to Maine Sail's guidance.

I printed it out and followed it to the letter last year, and ended up with a boat that fairly glistened.

Bruce

JSM

Member III
Had a 1973 C&C 30 That I thought was beyond help. Was considering painting the decks when I came across the above linked article. Its a lot of work but the end result is fantastic.
Have since done our E34 from the waterline up to the mast base with beautiful results.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I have been using Poli Glow for about 5 years from the waterline to the deck. From the deck up I use Starbrite deck cleaner with PTEF. I apply Poli Glow every Spring, I use the deck cleaner every month. Opinions vary on Poli Glow, but I am a fan.
BF32B26C-A4CC-4154-AD84-37FEFE2C6C64.jpg

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I have been using Poli Glow for about 5 years from the waterline to the deck. From the deck up I use Starbrite deck cleaner with PTEF. I apply Poli Glow every Spring, I use the deck cleaner every month. Opinions vary on Poli Glow, but I am a fan.
View attachment 24821
I too looked at PolyGlo but a dock neighbor who is a chemical engineer, looked at the ingredients and said that Polyglo was essentially acrylic floor polish, maybe with an additional UV inhibitor but essentially floor polish. In the SF bay area, UV is not a major problem so he uses Ace Hardware Acrylic Floor polish. Use ON/OFF to really clean the hull, apply as many coats of the Ace product as you have time. Use a very short bristle brush (like the kind Home Depot sells for painting corners but the flat version). Apply very very thin, it dries quickly so you can do one side, then the other, then just keep on going around, say 4-5 coats. Remove the Ace product the Ace floor stripper when needed and reapply. Cheap, 1 Gal does about 10 coats.

pmarsha3

Member II
I've used an acrylic coating on my heavily oxidized 1976 E29. I remove and recoat every five years or so.

Attachments

• 20180805_190244.jpg
    20180805_190244.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 116

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I use Ace's floor stripper which is probably very similar. The instructions say to dilute the stripper, apply and let stand but on our vertical surfaces, I find that insufficient. I generally use a spray bottle at full or near full strength and then have to scrub difficult areas with a scotch brite pad. Have you found a better way?