• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Best Exterior Varnish?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have to refinish the teak base that sits under my compass after repairing the cracks and splits in the end-grains.

Most of my exterior teak is done in cetol, but the companionway and compass trim is in varnish. I repaired the compass base by inserting a wedge of ebony where there was a large crack--I'd hate to hide the teak/ebony detail behind the orange-ish toned cetol.

What's the consensus for best exterior varnish?

Attachments

• 20180531_005852.2.jpg
    20180531_005852.2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180531_005517.2.jpg
    20180531_005517.2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 11
Varnish?

I've had very good luck with Epiphanes products, notably the high gloss and the wood finish. It's advisable to follow the application schedules.

Varnish

I had used Epifanes for years, but our cooler winters North Carolina can crack the varnish.
Epifanes becomes very hard (and durable) and great for inside areas....and I still use it for the floor.

10 years ago I switched to Cetol natural light. 6 coats and two top coats of clear. The Cetol stays "just" a little soft and resits cracking.

Both Epifanes & Cetol are Akzo Nobel companes.....and Dutch.
I am originally from The Netherlands and appreciate both divisions. I also deal allot with Akzo Nobel furniture finish division.

The Epifanes will work well outside...but you need to stay after it and watch for possible cracks.

Hilco on Sketcher

ChrisS

Member III
Awlspar is the easiest “real” varnish I’ve worked with, and it holds up well over time.