• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The New Golden Globe RTW

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think this race has great appeal, at least to the idea of the thing.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2325796/golden-globe-race-voyage-madmen

Too much money and tech has been applied to the business of Don Quixote. The whole idea once was to go out there to see what happened, do the best you could, and come back having done something.

To go out there in a 100-foot trimaran with three autopilots and cross the pacific in a week is one thing, and breaks records. But it seems to me the ocean is not just for breaking records, but for sailing, and that the application of sponsorship and advertising changes the nature of the thing.

It is a question of what is to be admired: determination and skill or publicity and professional advancement.

It seems to me that for us , for sailors who see yachting as a tradition and means to interpret our lives, and to live it, that a regression to the past is a healthy and admirable thing.

Not to say play football without a helmet, as once was done, but to reimagine football without play stopped for television advertisements, and turning a one-hour game into three hours of excruciating salesmanship by Energizer bunnies.

Note the very deep third reefs on these mainsails. I think it is a very good idea for us all, and inexpensive.

GG Racers.jpg

Last edited: