• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Autohelm 2000 Wheel Pilot Problems

JSM

Member III
Yesterday our ancient Autohelm 2000 wheel pilot ceased functioning. The head unit seems to power up and work fine. The problem seems to be in the wheel mounted drive unit. When the locking lever is engaged in the down position and the head unit is turned on the movement of the wheel disengages the locking lever slowly moving it to the upward disengaged position.
Spent this AM searching the internet for a manual or any info on the Autohelm 2000 and could find nothing.
The Raymarine website has a collection of manuals for retired autopilots. NO LUCK. Called Raymarine and was directed to manualslib.com where I found a manual for the Autohelm 2000 only to find that it was for a tiller pilot.
Will do some exploratory surgery this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these older units ?

Sometimes the inner belt needs to be tighten. I had the same problem once.There is a concentric adjustment on back side. Hilco on Sketcher

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I had that issue, the bolt holding the engagement arm had come loose. When the motor turned the wheel to port, it disengaged the arm.

It was silent and not noticeable. The arm didn't seem loose, rather it quietly rose up a little to disengage itself.

JSM

Member III
Thanks All ! hopefully that's all it is. Really don't like the pricing on a new one.
Is there any routine maintenance to be done on these?

bolbmw

Member III
Basic maint is to flush the wheel and belt with fresh water after usage, to make sure the bolts are tight and to adjust the belt tension per the manual to reduce any drag when the pilot is not engaged. The basic inner workings (belt, lever etc) haven't really changed in a long time. https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/nwf2s5ha9xrltggghogu/folder/720705051 has all Raymarine's old manuals.

I too have had the bolt holding the engagement lever come loose and if you're not careful it's possible to strip the inner plastic of the lever.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
The same thing happens to mine about every 6 months. If I take it apart, clean the belt and where the belt squeezes in, clean and lube, lightly, the wheels I have found it will again stay engaged when asked for another 6 months.
I will try the hose out method as mentioned above.
Proper belt tension is important, too.
Best wishes, Jay.

JSM

Member III
Thanks again all. Turns out I had a broken connection at the motor. Re soldered the wire, cleaned and lubed the drive unit and managed to find a manual. (Turns out I have an Autohelm 4000 and not a 2000.:0)