• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Putting off Digitizing old Home Movies?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I worry that there are boxes of old video moldering in basements and time is running out.

It is. Super 8mm film is still OK, but any videocassette is at the end of its life and if not saved now will be lost forever.

We are our own history. Get it into the cloud.

Somebody called to say they had finally done it, and much was saved but some was lost. There is still (barely) time.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...igitizing-Old-Sailing-Movies-Slides-and-Tapes

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
It's a good reminder.

I have a box of "precious" video-tapes in a closet. Ranging from all the America's Cup documentaries from mid-60s through mid-90s, plus movies ("hot yachts, cold water", IOR-50 worlds), plus random recordings of transpac tradewinds and mexico-race shenanigans.

I should find a way to get those digitized. Soon.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
"Movies" were a bit too high-tech for my ancestors. But simply by virtue of outliving everyone, I've somehow accumulated EVERYBODY's box of old photos. Literally the entire closet-under the stairway is full. I estimate that it would be a full-time job for about a year to digitize and annotate all those photos. There probably isn't anybody alive who can identify half of them. I fear it will never be done. I just skimmed through them rapidly to create slide shows as each of my parents passed, and that took days.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't forget any favorite music kicking around on tape either.

Yup. Technology has moved on quickly..... I have no way to play any of my box of reel-to-reel tapes OR my box of cassettes, either.

Probably just as well.
Interesting just how fast the past has become an auditory wasteland.
:0