• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

barient winch parts/serviceing

hdlEric

Member III
I have read most (but I confess, not all) of the posts re: Barient winch replacement parts. What I have gleaned from the info is that it it difficult to find QUALITY parts for Baronet winches. Allen-Hutton, out of Australia, has been cited as the most reliable source. What is the consensus of opinions re the best source for rebuild kits, and/or new pawls, and springs for Barient winches. Thanks so much for any advice.
Howard

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The existing pawls are probably fine.

The springs are available at West Marine. Apparently all winch brands use the same pawl springs.

hdlEric

Member III
barient winches pawls/springs

Thanks Christian, for the info! I am inclined too agree with you; the winches seem to operate well, but just in case, what would be your choice for pawls, if I do need them. I have followed your many posts and they have always been very helpful!!!! I forgot to mention in the post, that I plan on using Miracle Mystery oil for the pawls and any other parts that one should use oil, and not grease, on. Your thoughts? Also, while I have your attention, what do you think about using a boom kicker on my E34, and is Selden better than Boomkicker???? Thanks so much for your time. I use the boat for cruising exclusively, and then only a day or so sail. My primary reason for considering one is that I often sail short handed, single handed, or with those who don't know much about sailing, so raising/lowering the main, and putting reefs in I am hoping will be easier and safer. BTW my Genoa winches are the 27STs, your post in repairing these is appreciated
Howard

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I cleaned up my 1969-era Barlow 16 winches a couple of years ago and placed an order with Hutton-Arco. Shipping was ridiculously expensive so I bought a couple of extra pawls. Turns out the body of one of the winches where the pawl fits in is almost certainly distorted, and the pawls themselves were probably fine all along, and I ended up buying some nicer used identical winches on eBay for not much more than the dumb parts themselves cost.

I haven't mounted the new winches yet, but the upshot is that I have a few extra pawls that I'd be happy to send you at cost. Might take me a few days to find them - if they'll suit you sizewise. But this is enough of a hassle that I would not suggest adding new parts to the mix unless you're sure, after a solid cleaning and lubricating, that the parts are indeed in need of replacement. Let me know what you think.

I think Barient and Barlow pawls are interchangeable; they are NOT compatible with the pawls sold at West Marine - slightly different shape, less taper.
I think the springs from various manufacturers ARE interchangeable, as Christian suggests.
I wouldn't use Marvel Mystery Oil for winch lubrication. Use 3-in-1 oil.

bolbmw

Member III
I bought several of the Barient Winch Repair Kit's that West Marine carries, made by Lewmar when I was rebuilding my winches. Turns out I only needed one kit as the majority of pawls and springs were perfectly fine. Like others have found, the replacement pawl's were of low quality with rough finishing.

After degreasing and relubing everything to spec the winches turn like new.

Guess I have a lot of spares now.

p.gazibara

Member III
Try using Fisheries Supply out of Seattle. I used their lewmar pawls and springs and they work well. Though I have found that every 3000nm or so I need to take everything apart and relube it.

Cheers,
-P