• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking Cockpit Drain - Need Advice

Andrea L.

I have a 1979 29T On of my cockpit drains is leaking down into the stern quarter berth. We have tried to remove it and re-seal it but it has not worked. We think we need to put an entirely new drain in and seal it, but it is nearly impossible to get to since the drain is located right on the bottom curve of one of the storage benches....Does anyone have any advice on what to do (or a particular drain to buy), or has anyone encountered the same problem? I'm a new boat owner so bare with my lack of sailing terminology. Thanks for your help!

andrealesh@yahoo.com

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
leaking cockpit drains

I have had the same experience with my E 29T. The part that bolts to the headliner of the quarter birth have been over tightened and the surface that should seal is distorted badly. I have not removed these yet. This looks like they just fit to the headliner and seal there. Is this the way they work or is there more than the strainer above and the lower fitting?

I have thought about replacing with flush thru-hulls and using a larger size when I refit mine and route then out the transom crossing port to starboard and so.

jkenan

Member III
Cockpit Drainage rework

I've had the same problem, and in looking at the issue and my objectives, decided to rework my whole cockpit drainage system. First, the drains are too small to drain the cockpit quickly, and second, the hose to the seacocks is too long a distance. Both of these factors make draining the cockpit a lengthy process, which is unsafe for any offshore work.

However, if I were to correct the leaking problem with my existing drains, I would do two things based on what I learned removing/disassembling my existing drains:

1) replace the O-ring that fits between the drain flange and screw-on hose fitting that tightens down the flange. This is likely the source of your leak, as these rings get destroyed over time from overtightening (at least it was the source of my leaks).

2) Re-bed the drains in the cockpit sole.

Good luck

John

Sailsteve

I have the same issue with my E36-RH... The cockpit drains go to big rubber hoses through the transom. When it rains the water from the hoses leaks into the bilge and it can be quite a lot. When I am under power at hull speed the stern becomes slightly submerged and the water fills the bilge from the drain holes. I've got to replace the hoses, but I need a midget to get into the space to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve