• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bimini Decision

enkramer

I have a '79 35-2 on Texas Gulf Coast. I've had local shop draw up plan for two-piece bimini, with separate sections covering helm and cockpit (see below). Cover is clearly warranted in this environment, but before I pull the trigger, I'd like to get input from anyone who has gone this route regarding potential drawbacks or other options. Thanks.

Bimini.jpg

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Dodger + bimini and connector

Some folks here have opted for a dodger + aft bimini, with an additional connector between the two that's removable when sailing to clear the main sheet. The dodger carries the benefit of deflecting wind and spray. I've also seen some dodger designs with removable front panels.

I have a '79 35-2 on Texas Gulf Coast. I've had local shop draw up plan for two-piece bimini, with separate sections covering helm and cockpit (see below). Cover is clearly warranted in this environment, but before I pull the trigger, I'd like to get input from anyone who has gone this route regarding potential drawbacks or other options. Thanks.

View attachment 24578

Glyn Judson

Dodger/Bimini design and features.

Evan, When we had our dodger and Bimini made, there were certain things I wanted, namely 1" stainless tubing frame (not aluminum) and tubing supports as opposed to fabric strapping. Beyond that the center window in the dodger unzips in a large U-shape and can be rolled up and held with straps and twist fasteners. We have an insert that connects the dodger to the Bimini, fitted with four zippers that enable one side or the other to be opened up giving freedom for the main sheet to be operated with the other half of the insert providing shade for Marilyn and me but equally as importantly, our two large dogs. The unzipped half of the insert can be flopped over the fixed one and snapped at the edges to allow more management of it in any winds. The Bimini extends from forward of the wheel to well aft of the helmsman's position, enough so as to prevent rain from running down the helmsman neck. The aft end of the Bimini is 1 inch higher than the front for the same reason, rain will run comfortably forward. Fast pins secure the forward supporting tubes, allowing easy folding of the entire assembly aft for mild, sunny days. I highly recommend handholds be added to the side of the dodger for safety. Lastly I have a Sunbrella loop (think belt loop) sewn to the underside of the Sunbrella at the center of the front bow as a convenience when on a mooring and relaxing at night. That's where a small lantern can be hung out of the way, essentially slightly forward of the binnacle, photo attached. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Bimini.jpg
    Hull #55, Bimini.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 261

Emerald

Some folks here have opted for a dodger + aft bimini, with an additional connector between the two that's removable when sailing to clear the main sheet. The dodger carries the benefit of deflecting wind and spray. I've also seen some dodger designs with removable front panels.

That's what I have, and it works pretty well. There's even a slot for the mainsheet in my connecting piece that almost lets you sail with it in place. I'd also recommend getting a window with a flap type cover you can roll back in the top of the aft bimini. That lets you see your sail trim with the bimini up. Mine has zippers and ties so you can unzip and roll the canvas back revealing a window to look through.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
That's what I have, and it works pretty well. There's even a slot for the mainsheet in my connecting piece that almost lets you sail with it in place. I'd also recommend getting a window with a flap type cover you can roll back in the top of the aft bimini. That lets you see your sail trim with the bimini up. Mine has zippers and ties so you can unzip and roll the canvas back revealing a window to look through.

1624506C-098B-4AA9-8C6E-48F1328BE9A1.jpgMe too.

gkjtexoma

Member II
Greetings,

I'm taking the low road. For my 30+ I bought, through Amazon, a cheap ($120) bimini with aluminum frame and unpedigreed polyester fabic. Haven't installed it yet but it is the right width and height plus long enough. I will use it to get a plan together for a possibly improved installation or maybe buy another every few years if necessary. we will also use it for shade from the glorious Texas sun in the meantime!

I have a similar one on a Whaler that is not bad. It has lasted for a few years now but is indoors the majority of the time.

Last edited:

JSM

Member III
We had a bimini made for our 34-2 at the end of last season. We opted for a shorter one that covers more or less the back half of the cockpit with an insert that zips on to the forward edge of the bimini at attaches at the main sheet blocks on the boom. We opted for the shorter version so as not to have so much tubing to "crawl" thru when boarding.
One thing to be conscious of is where the legs/braces land on your combing in relation to your fuel and water fill ports as well as your winches. My knuckles just clear the legs when trimming the jib.
So far we have been very happy with this set up.
20180512_145448.jpg

Glyn Judson

Bimini design and function.

Folks, Two ore thoughts come to mind after reading the input from others. We use the insert yo grate advantage on hot days when at Catalina Island. It affords us well over 10 continuous feet of shade from the front of the dodger to the back of the Bimini. A comment was made about having to fight ones way through the stainless frames to leave or return to the cockpit. That can present a real problem given that our main sheet traveler is on the bridge deck. We came up with a workaround for that: there is a snap shackle attaching the main sheet to the traveler car allowing us to easily move all the lines to the side deck where it reattached to a Genoa track D-slide, image attached. That bronze snap shackle began to wear almost immediately so it got replaced with one made of stainless steel which has stood up to the rigors of heavy friction for years now and no sign of wear. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Harken Windward Sheeting sys.jpg
    Hull #55, Harken Windward Sheeting sys.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 235

gregdettmer

Member I
Bimini top, my lessons learned

Hi Evan,

Live down hear in South Florida with an e38 which has had a 6’ Bimini for about 7 years now. Sunbrella, aluminum frame, stainless fittings and straps. Was set up so it could be positioned forward over companion way or positioned located aft over helm. Lessons learned; (1) regardless of position, side frames were always in the way of winch handle making a full rotation and Straps were always in the way of going forward from the cockpit.

Currently upgrading (about 65% complete) to a tall “dodger” (3’long ) , rear bimini (3.5’ long ) with a removable connector (2.5’ long) in between, Final overall length is 9’. Has 1” SS frame with tubing supports. Front section supports go to cabin roof and rear section supports go to stern railings. Nice wide opening at sides and great clearance at winches. Very happy with how the project is coming along.

Looking at the sketch you posted the following thoughts come to mind;

• If the front section is supported by straps, they will be in the way climbing forward out of the cockpit.
  • Looks like the side of frame will be close to winches and limit winch handle rotation
  • Rear section looks like it extends just past stern rails, this could make it hard to stand up at stern while docking to work with dock lines.

Also, because of the sun in the south, consider lifetime thread. It is a small incremental cost ($50) over polyester and much less (~$200-$300) than re-stitching every few years. If not it sure seems like Blue polyester thread last longer than white polyester thread.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good point on thread. My genoa is less than two years old. I noticed yesterday that the UV cover on the leech already suffers 50 percent thread loss.

Ask for Tenera thread or similar.

sharonov

Member II
....rear section supports go to stern railings. Nice wide opening at sides and great clearance at winches..... .
Second that. I moved frame attachment points from the deck to the pushpit and that made a huge difference. Cockpit opened up and no interference from the frame.

canvas

On Sketcher we have a dodger and upper canvas that reaches over the dodger for max protection.

Attachments

• DSC07567.jpg
    DSC07567.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 150
Yes canvas done in Oriental, NC under my direction. All stainless framing, easy to get at lines. back frame is fixed and front is held up by canvas.
Gets very hot and sunny here.
The E-35-3 with traveler on the deck makes it very easy to deal with.
This is our third one since 1983 and about ready for #4....canvas lasts only so long.

Hilco on Sketcher.