• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jabsco 31705 Series Marine ParMax 4 Bilge and Shower Drain Pump, 258 GPH

CSMcKillip

I purchased this pump to run my bilge, this will be my second pump - the first I purchased 9 years ago and has been for the most part a great pump. I installed the new pump 2 weeks ago and everything worked just like it did before - but last weekend I went back up to the boat and the pump was turning on but was not priming itself nor pumping any water from the bilge? I checked the lines to see if they were clogged and both the supply and return were clear. I am stumped and don't want to take the pump apart... as I ripped the diagram on the pervious one after it had broke.

Any suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would be inclined to stick with the Jabsco 37202 pump. A Proven bilge pump.
This is modern part number of the pair of pumps that EY installed new on our boat, AFAIK.

The product you reference is rated at 4.3 GPM, which is the rate most of these are tested at (presumably).
The hourly number is a lot more impressive! :)

Also, have you verified that your hose runs have no holes or tears in them? I just wonder if the water is escaping somehow?

Attachments

• JAB37202-2012-2.jpg
    JAB37202-2012-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

CSMcKillip

Well, I just bought the new one, so if I can not get it to work again I will send it back. The pump worked just fine 2 weeks ago, now its kaput.... I checked the hose and am taking a new one up along with an AC Pump as well as testing it in a bucket of water.

I would be inclined to stick with the Jabsco 37202 pump. A Proven bilge pump.
This is modern part number of the pair of pumps that EY installed new on our boat, AFAIK.

The product you reference is rated at 4.3 GPM, which is the rate most of these are tested at (presumably).
The hourly number is a lot more impressive! :)

Also, have you verified that your hose runs have no holes or tears in them? I just wonder if the water is escaping somehow?

CSMcKillip

Yea, kind of what I thought - what about amps to the pump itself? My batteries show 12v on both 1 and 2... but I know they will need to be replaced at some point. They are getting up there in age.

Well, if it's running but not pumping it's probably a piece of debris in the diaphragms.

CSMcKillip

Thanks for the comments, I guess it needed to be primed again?? I had to take a hose and a bucket of water to run it several times to get the pump going? After that I reinstalled and it ran good. Yes I have a filter.

My float switch itch is now giving me some problems but I will readup on it this week and get ready for the weekend.

what happened to the download section?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just for the record, a diaphragm pump does not need to be primed. I would keep monitoring to make sure issue does not recur.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Jabsco 37202 pump

Just for the record, a diaphragm pump does not need to be primed. I would keep monitoring to make sure issue does not recur.

Christian is correct, diaphragm pumps don’t need to be primed. That why I installed a Jabsco 37202 pump in my mast/shower bilge because water kept back flowing and I didn’t want to use a one-way valve. It’s a small bilge so I just used the filter that came with it, ran an elbow down towards the bottom of the bilge and attach a short piece of hose that I cut at about a 30 degree angle. Also used a delay float switch that stays closed at a lower level then when it comes on. Now I suck all but about maybe 1/4” of water out. The Jabsco 37202 pump is tough because it was completely frozen up this past winter but came through and worked in the spring. It works so well that I’m going to install another Jabsco 37202 pump for the main bilge which has a pump that needs to be primed.