Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notable Little-Known Sailing Books

Thatís what I was afraid of... Iíve wired parts of houses and cars and figured it was about the same. It is the ďaboutĒ part that has me worried. I know boat stuff is a little different but not quite sure where to look. Google and YouTube are my normal go tos for a lot of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    I studied Nigel Calder, and bought "Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" by Charlie Wing.

They weren't much help. Too generic and theoretical.

I got much more guidance here on the forum, and through Google searches.
    Juice
    1982 Ericson 25 plus

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    Hi Juice,
    While Christian and others are right that good advice is available on this forum, I still find books helpful to understand the logic, the concepts and then the how to knowledge with extra tips where needed. So I have collected a bunch of good books over the years, too many to keep cause they are piling up as I buy new ones.
    So I have about 20 books on maintenance, electrical, sail trim, heavy weather sailing, etc. that I would like to sell at very reasonable prices.
    If that's of interest to you, either to help with your projects or to get you through long and dark Alaska winters, let me know and we can work out details.
    And yes, boat / marine wiring is different from wiring houses and cars! ☺️
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Langer; 07-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Langer View Post
    So I have about 20 books ...
    If there are some still up for grabs, please share a list? I'm always looking for my next new favorite book...

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Hi Bruce,

Juice replied by email yesterday, so has first dibs on buying my books, and he's in Alaska where the winters are cold, dark and long, so he may need good sailing books to get him through.

But if he doesn't want them all, I'll let you know and you would be next. If others are interested, I can make a list of potential buyers. I will post a list of books and authors tomorrow when I have some time, and my email address. They will be priced reasonably.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    If there are some still up for grabs, please share a list? I'm always looking for my next new favorite book...

Bruce

YEAH! Wait your turn 😳 🍻
    Juice
    1982 Ericson 25 plus

sailing books

I should have guessed that the fellas here would be sailing adventure reading nuts, like me. Having all these stories and books in my head actually helped me when I got caught in a pop up squall/t storm a couple years ago. 50kt winds. It was frightening yet thrilling!

When I finally got back to the marina the guys at the docks told me afterwards that I said nothing- looked kind of dazed and just put the boat to bed and left.

That's one reason I like winter sailing- nearly zero chance of t storm.

Never read 2 yrs. Before the Mast! Reading it now.
    Bill McLean,
    '76 E27 #879, Atomic 4
    Norfolk, VA

Blog Entries
    Dana is a real eye-opener for those of us in Southern California-"yachting" his experience was not.

My favorite period story is The Bounty Trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall, novelizations of the familiar Bligh-Christian saga. They knew how to write historical novels, not shy on technical content and with a firm grasp of character and narrative.

Get the Little, Brown edition of about 1951, illustrations by NC Wyeth. No sailor will put it down.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Frank's list of sailing/maintenance books for sale, as requested

Hi,
    A couple of you had requested a list of books I would like to sell--see previous posts in this thread. The following is a list of sailing related books that I want to sell, as I've run out of space on my bookshelves, and will inevitably buy or be given new ones.

This list has been shortened considerably as a bunch have already sold, but the remaining ones that are still available are:

Sailing: The Complete Practical Manual by Michel Deshors
    Sail Like a Champion by Dennis Conner
    The Racing Edge by Ted Turner & Gary Jobson
    The New Book of Sail Trim by Textor
    Stormproof your Boat by Burr
    Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts by John Rousmaniere
    The Idiots Guide to Boating and Sailing by Frank Sargeant
    Good Cruising by Aiken

With one exception, they are all in excellent condition (I take good care of books). Many are hard cover, but a few are paperback. I'm thinking $5.00 each for hard cover, $3.00 each for paperback, with a possible discount if you want all or a lot of them. I'm also open to other reasonable offers. I would ask that you pay postage by whatever means you would like them sent.

Juice has finalized his purchase, and then Bruce had indicated interest, and after that whoever responds first will have the next opportunity. I have found that while the internet is great for a quick question, having a book at hand with greater detail, sometimes pictures, advice and tips, can be a great help.

Let me know if you are interested--easiest is if you send me a quick email to: franklanger@live.ca

Frank
    Last edited by Frank Langer; 07-29-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Thank you. Added bonus: I love NC and Andrew Wyeth's work. Amazon here I come!
    Bill McLean,
    '76 E27 #879, Atomic 4
    Norfolk, VA

Sustaining Partner
    Blog Entries

Richard bode

First You Have to Row a Little Boat: Reflections on Life & Living Paperback Ė June 1, 1995
    by Richard Bode (Author)
    Pax et Bene
    Rick e29

Following the sale of many of my books, I've updated the list above to show the remaining books still for sale.
    Frank

Contributing Member III

Smile old time charm

I suggest that you try to find a copy of "Yachtman's Omnibus" by HA Callahan- a marvelous compendium of outdated information on large New York yacht club sailing and racing, in the disguise of "learning to sail"," Learning to race" and "learning to cruise". Gives a much needed perspective on what equipment was available in the 1940s until the electronic revolution in the late 60s, how to do things cleverly, and the yachting snobbery of the age. Reading it combines wincing (about 'paid hands'), laughing, and amazement on how things have changed. The volumes are also available as singles, and are found in almost any nautical junk shop. Highly recommended.

steve naulty
    ericson 35-3 'anodyne'
    shadyside MD

Blog Entries
    Much agree on the old books. On the boat I have Colin Mudie's account of sailing across the English channel to France in an 18-foot open boat in order to attend a social event. Three guys, age 18, with their good clothes in a canvas bag. They almost sank, got lost, bailed all the way, finally arrived, attended in wet shoes, got drunk, slept an hour or two, and headed back into a Channel gale to make work on time Monday morning.

Tally ho and all that.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Thanks Frank! Winter isnít quite here yet but Iím ready when it comes!! Let the reading and renovations begin... well Iím a couple months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18556C75-7299-4C44-81EB-FDA5B6D11B1C.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	24906
    Juice
    1982 Ericson 25 plus

Hi Josh/Juice,
    I recognize those books! ☺️
    I'm glad they arrived safely. I'm sure you'll find them useful, as I did.
    I'm still in Thailand for another week, and then I'll contact those of you that also requested books.
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Langer; 08-08-2018 at 12:22 AM.