• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Window gaskets replacement for a 77 e27?

dshort

Hi I'm trying to replace some old gaskets and a previous owners bad caulk job. I'm sure that some of you have tackled this task, pease help.

frick

Member III
Port lights

Most the old Ericson used a butel tape as a gasket. On my Ericson 29, 1971,
I removed all my windows, and used 3m silicone ask my replacement. This was a huge job.
Squeezing the silicone between the frame and the boat works. Just don't tighten the screws for day
Let the stuff set up a bit.

I have did this 14 years ago and it looks good and has held.

Rick

dshort

Hi Rick,
Thanks, I see how that could work. What about the gasket that holds the glass in the aluminum frame? Mine has deteriorated badly .

thanks,ken

JPS27

Member III
here is my experience documented in a blog. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?490-Confessions-on-Rebedding-Portlights

I will say that recently I rebedded two on the starboard side becuase I thought they were leaking, but it was only because I had taken my my stbd handrail off and did a poor job sealing one hole while working on handrail at home. I did show me how water doesn't just come in from the frames. Can come from anywhere. But I would say butyl works. And so did lifecaulk.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I redid all the ports on my '77 E27 many years ago. You can buy the gasket material from Wefco online. I believe it is wefcorubber.com.

Take the screws out of the retaining rim on the inside of the boat and then go outside and use a sharp putty knife to gently break the seal between the boat and the frame gasket material. Once the thing is out you will see two rivets on the inside of the frame that hold the two ends of the aluminum extrusion of the frame together. Drill these out with a 1/8" drill. A standard aluminum pop rivet will replace them when you put it back together. Be sure you only bend the frame enough to get the glass out and don't kink the extrusion.

Match the gasket 0profile to the patterns on Wefco's website (they are handily shown full size when printed out). While you wait for it to arrive you can spend your time cleaning up the frame and glass. Took me awhile with all the goop PO's had used to try to seal the leaks over the years.

As they say in all the Haynes manuals "assembly is the reverse of disassembly".Use lots of hot water and soap when trying to fit the glass/gasket back in. Its a bear. I threw a little silicone sealant where the two ends of the gasket meet just to be sure. Would have been nice to find a glue that would stick the ends together like they use for making O rings, but I didn't find it.

Rivet it back together and then lay some fresh gasket material on the frame flange and put it back in place. I used a closed cell neoprene foam self adhesive weather strip. It compressed nicely and took up the irregularities. Had lasted 15 years and was still watertight when I sold the boat.

Good luck!

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

frick

Member III
Captn Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure - Short term fix

Hi Rick,
Thanks, I see how that could work. What about the gasket that holds the glass in the aluminum frame? Mine has deteriorated badly .

thanks,ken

Ken,
As a temporary fix to stop the leak around the rubber seal and glass I tried Captn' Trolly's Creeping Crack Cure. It will find the leak and wick into it. Every two hours or so, put more in to the leak. Try again the next day or so, This stuff is a water based polymer that leaves behind a light gray sticky residue. I used about a half a bottle around all my port lights, and the stopped leaking for two full seasons. I reaplied and the leaks stopped again...

Rick+

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi dshort,

You might be able to find the gasket locally at a glass store that does shower doors.

Attachments

• gasket2a.jpg
    gasket2a.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 97

aa1bflyboy

Gasket material

I used the easy method for the first portlite, basically used a silicone based sealant. The other three I used the original nylon gasket made for these types of windows. Various sources sell it on the web for far less than the same stuff sold by Catalina in their kit. Just as I was ready to order some a fellow yatchsman at my club had just finished doing his and had plenty left over and gave me enough to do all four. He also recommended using Dow 795 I think is the number as an additional sealant. When I started assembling them I understood why. He and I found it best to just caulk the window at the frame as it was very difficult to get the gasket to play nice where the curves are and the aluminum frame joints. My frames were held together with pan head screws which were not SS. I put in SS as I had to drill the old ones out. I used butyl tape between the frames and the fiberglass.
Oh, the 1st one has a slight leak already so it will be getting the nylon gasket for 2019.