• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

SoCal Anchor Choice

michaellfoo

Hello all,

This my first post after becoming the proud new owner of my 1971 Ericson 32-2 Hull #188!

Of course, as with any new (to me) boat, there are so many projects that I have planned and even more waiting to show themselves in the future; but as my objective is to get cruising around the Channel Islands as quickly (read: safely) as I can, I'm wondering -- at the risk of opening any number of cans of worms as this question inevitably does -- what anchor choices my fellow Southern Californians have chosen.

I have an uncle, who has cruised the South Pacific for more years than I've been alive, who swears by his CQR; given the fact that he has twice the displacement that many of us do, I'm inclined to take his word, though, with a grain of salt. Pun intended.

I'm wondering what those of you in the SoCal area have found to be the "best" anchor for the area bottom.

Cheers,
and fair winds.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The new anchors on my dock are most likely Rocnas. They don't always sit well in existing bow rollers. Most of us seem to have a Danforth for a stern anchor, just because easier to store.

Anchoring here is problematic, and I do hardly any of it. Water is deep, sand is rare.

I have a big Bruce on the bow, but without a windlass -- never mind. I pay for a mooring at Catalina.

Oh--and welcome aboard. We will hear more and better from less lazy sailors.

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
I'm a SoCal sailor and the Danforth (WM "traditional") works fine for me. I use a 13 lb for my E29. Holding is good in Dana and Newport harbors. Almost too good in Newport's mud. Like Christian I pick up a mooring out at Catalina.

Paul

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
We use a 33# Bruce with 45’ of chain plus 250’ of rode. This is slightly over sized but it helps me sleep and I have been out to Santa Cruz Island when it was blowing 30 knots all night long. That made it hard to sleep even with a slightly over sized hook!

If I were buying a new anchor I would check out the Rocna or the Manson Supreme, one of which is as mentioned by Christian.

fool

Member III
I took a quick poll of the Fairwind Yacht Club boats. Fairwind Yacht Club is more of a cooperative than a club where you sail around the yacht club bar. They anchor various 30' to 40' boats from their Channel Islands fleet (usually Santa Cruz) over eight 3-day weekends a year in season. So I figure the club should know a thing or two about anchoring at the islands. Results of this informal poll? Non-hinged plows.

I happened to trip over a Rocna at a local chandlery that had a good price and picked it up to go with 40' of chain, and 300' of plated rode. Christian is 100% correct when he say's they don't seem to fit marvelously on roller, but we'll figure that out. This replaces a CQR of slightly lighter weight. Non-hinged plows are probably about a Ben Franklin with or without a U.S. Grant less expensive than a Rocna.

If you're familiar with Sheryl and and Paul of Distant shores you might like this tidbit of interweb interaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfstdnOwq_s

Here's Peter Smith discussing the Rocna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD3VuWSm07s

Here's part of the lyrics on sailing around the yacht club bar. Somewhere I have a video of Lynn and Larry Parday singing this jingle on Taliesin, but I digress...

"I love to sit around the yacht club bar
and talk about the things we’re going to do.
I love to sit around the yacht club bar
because it doesn’t move.
The swells are big and the winds are high
but that don’t bother me.
Cause I never get lost and my tummy doesn’t toss
It’s a wonderful life on the sea."

Cheers...

Max

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Rocna 15 (33 lbs) with 75' of chain and 300' of 5/8" nylon. I used this arrangement at White's Landing in Catalina in 70 feet of water ... with plenty of other boats. It did ok I guess, but the scope wasn't ideal, and I think I may have dragged the anchor a little. But more scope would have meant wider swings, which wouldn't have been good in this crowded anchorage. I got the impression that many there seemed to cut corners on scope. Like the 40 foot power boat next to me whose operator said he only had 200 feet out.

Every where else, the Rocna has set well the first time, including Santa Cruz Island, Monterey, Half Moon Bay, the SF Bay Area, and Drake's Bay.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
A lot of times in those crowded anchorages at Catalina or the northern Channel Islands people will also set a smaller stern anchor to reduce or eliminate the swing. Then you have to do what they do also. When it’s crowded, if one boat swings, everybody has to swing, and conversely if a stern anchor is used, ain’t nobody swinging!