• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35 mk3 1988 hull paint color

archangel

Archangel
Will be repairing scratches on hull , talk to the repair guy and he says that finding the correct paint is what I need to do . The order confirmation sheet for the boat says that the color for hull is 069 white, but no manufacturer is noted. I think Ericson would buy paint in bulk each year , so the colors changed. The boat serial# is ERY35275B888: 35-275 . Anyone with leads or info would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has left over paint for that year I will pay you for the paint.

archangel

Archangel
Hull paint color ericson 35 1988

On the order confirmation sheet color is noted as 069 white . It must be Gelcoat my repair guy was using both terms when talking about repair.They are very different indeed. THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would just get some white gelcoat from West Marine and see how close the color is. No way an old hull can be matched with a stock color, since original color changes over time. We have to experiment with tint additives to come close, and wait for the sample to cure each time. "Close" is as good as anybody gets.

There are many demos on YouTube of gelcoat repair technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEE6SFUdpg

Light scratches can sometimes be polished out. Repairs often weather differently from the original, and show themselves later.

Maybe others will be more optimistic.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Spectrum

The only gel coat listed for Ericsons by Spectrum was an Ericson grey. No longer available. Straight white gel coat is too white. My method of doing small spots was to clean the area to rid it of dirt and old wax. Then I would paint on successive coats of gel coat until I got the thickness just proud of the surface around the repair. I then took a razor blade and drew it back and forth over the fresh gel coat to level it with the original surface. I'm talking very small spots here, nothing major. I wasn't interested in matching the original color but discovered in the process when I removed the oxidized gel coat around the repair the color was a light grey. Now that I have a bigger scratch to repair I'm going to try to match the original. Not to next year. Just splashed today and it's time to go sailing.

archangel

Archangel
Hull paint color ericson 35 1988

Thanks for the reply , its looking like the Yard may be doing my repair $$$$ . Really regret docking at the rough water dock for the meal everybody had to have. I wonder if one can remove some of the gelcoat and send it off to a lab for analysis and then have a company do the perfect match, I guess if you have enough money anything is possible. Will keep searching if I find out anything will post it.Thanks Archangel

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Color matching is an art and science that is part of the job if you're an pro gelcoat repair person. (It's a black art as far as this rank amateur is concerned, I have good color vision but am terrible at blending colors.)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Color Matching and Anguish...

Thanks for the reply , its looking like the Yard may be doing my repair $$$$ . Really regret docking at the rough water dock for the meal everybody had to have. I wonder if one can remove some of the gelcoat and send it off to a lab for analysis and then have a company do the perfect match, I guess if you have enough money anything is possible. Will keep searching if I find out anything will post it.Thanks Archangel

I have hit a few docks over the decades with our boat (and the two before it...). As long as the damage is only in the outer layer of gel coat you will (or they will) be able to gently buff it out. EY laid down a decent gel goat layer when they built their boats, unlike a few cheaper makes we could name. Still, once the surface is older than about 1980 or so, many boats will start to show the substrate layer of color indicating that it's time for a repaint.

UV is the main culprit, and the further south the boat lives the more UV will attack it.

Aside: a friend of mine moved from a nice E-30-2 to a larger mid-80's C&C 35 and he went to the trouble to find his big boat in the Great Lakes area where this one was kept covered and out of the water for half the year. It has some signature C&C problems with the window and cabin side molding, but the hull and deck color still shows really well.

See, geography really was important to study in school! :)

As for matching. Aye Yi Yi.
I have, after some failures, done some filling of divots in our boat. I received great advice from on the the best ship wrights in the area on matching. It's a subtle skill, and tiny amounts of other shades will be needed to mix in with the base white gel coat.

Write down the "formula" for your boat once you or the yard guy/gal gets it right. And, do cut them a little slack. One the chief unknowns is just how much it will change as it fades in the first season or two after the repair. Your repair may lighten or darken.

Your original color did indeed have a identifying name on the chart, but that color and batch only existed for the months when EY bought that barrel... it's been a long time.

Back in 1980 when I was selling small sailboats for fun, I had the Ferro Corp color chart and could order from 50 or more colors. That company is looooooong gone, and even then, each batch might be subtly different even tho formulated to the same shade.

Still, most of us, with some effort can come up with a match that will pass the 10 or even the 5 foot test. :rolleyes:

Biggest challenge that I had was finding out just what other colors besides Base White need to be added to make up my particular hull color.
I would guess, off hand, that once you get the right amount of light gray, your "Ericson white" might need just a tiny bit of yellow to warm it up.
If you DIY, get a small can of base white, some tubes of color, and do some mixing.... you will be using an oz at a time and measuring the additions in drops. Keep notes. Once it kicks, hold it up against the boat and see if it needs to be whiter, grayer, warmer, colder, etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:

archangel

Archangel
Ericson 35 hull color repair

Very good link for gelcoat repair . I THINK I MAY TAKE A TRY AT IT. Best video seen so far. I can see why its so hard ,all about the prep. and quality products.Thanks for the info Archangel