• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 35-3 Transmission question

JoeH

Member I
Anyone know what transmission is in this? Universal 20hp engine, nothing in the manual about the transmission. It's starting to slip in fwd gear.
I'm asking because it's 3 hours away and I may not be able to get there anytime soon.
From what I've been able to find it sounds like a common problem and that it
should be replaced with a twin disc.
Really bad timing as we were planing on moving
to the Gulf coast and taking the boat down the Mississippi river this summer.
If anyone with knowledge of a 35-3 can share some info I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Kevin A Wright

Member III
My 1986 E35Mk3 came with a M25 rather than an M20 Universal. My manual says that both the M25 and M20 used a Hurth HBW-50 (2:1) transmission. Mine was replaced by a Z-10 by the PO before I got it. Hope that helps.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Don't rebuild!

Whatever you do don't rebuild the Hurth! I have an E-32-3 with a Universal 25XP engine and my Hurth trans lost forward gear year before last. Had it rebuilt and recently it went out again. Found out the rebuilding those transmissions is a waste of time and money. Having it replaced (right now) with a Twindisc 40 P. Fits right in with only a minor adjustment of raising the engine 1/4". I have a posting on this site all about it and will be updating on the replacement. Not saying that the Twindisc is the only answer just that its the one that seems to work for me.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, several reports here of rebuilding failures. Search Hurth transmission. Rick R has a similar warning.

No doubt you have already checked the linkage to make sure you have a full throw of the trans shift lever so it fully engages the transmission (a bad control cable or loose connections can mean slippage). And the transmission fluid level is fine, and the fluid isn't discolored.

debonAir

Member III
My 35-3 has the Universal 5424 and a Hurth 2:1 that was working fine last year. Hope it works next week!. I've read that you need to change the fluid every year but PO said not to touch it. Very mixed message :) Do people with still-working Hurths change their fluid often?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I change my Hurth transmission fluid about every two to three years. My boat is relatively lightly used, though. I do not drain it out of the bottom plug. My wrist doesn't bend that way.

I have used a turkey baster with a hose on the tip to suck it out the top, but now I use a pump from a soap or shampoo bottle (or similar). Fast and less messy. You'll probably have to extend the tube. Going straight down where the dipstick/cap goes in is how to get out the most old fluid. I do have to get into the starboard lazarette on my E38 and get the exhaust hose out of the way to get adequate access. Catching the old fluid in a clear cup can show what shape it is in visually.

I have also used a small telescoping magnetic item retriever down inside of the empty transmission looking for excess metal shavings. So far so good, after almost 2000 hours. I do not know for sure if this is the original transmission. I'm keeping my fingers crossed just a little as these reports come in.

JoeH

Member I
The linkage is adjusted to where it's supposed to be already. Put new oil in it, but still slips
when I fist take it out. After motoring for about 20 it's not slipping. I'm going to change the
fluid again, but I think I'm screwed. I'm probably going to have to replace it

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Please read

The linkage is adjusted to where it's supposed to be already. Put new oil in it, but still slips
when I fist take it out. After motoring for about 20 it's not slipping. I'm going to change the
fluid again, but I think I'm screwed. I'm probably going to have to replace it

Don't know if you've done anything with your problem yet but I suggest that you read this posting: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ransmission-Problems-again-The-Saga-Continues

I went through a transmission replacement and also had to move my heat exchanger in the process so info in the posting might be very helpful to you.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
My 35-3 has the Universal 5424 and a Hurth 2:1 that was working fine last year. Hope it works next week!. I've read that you need to change the fluid every year but PO said not to touch it. Very mixed message :) Do people with still-working Hurths change their fluid often?

We have a 5424 too. It weighs more than the other stock engines Ericson used, but it did come with a beefier transmission. Anecdotally at least, they seem to hold up better. We change the fluid every 2-3 years depending upon how much motoring we are doing.

Last edited:

JoeH

Member I
Thanks Bob

I did see your post Really good information there.
Fortunately for me another fluid change and being meticulous
about the fluid level worked. I put Castrol Transmax in it and it's working great now.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Well, thats good news because a new transmission is expensive. Although IMO, rebuilding the Hurth transmissions that came with our boats is not an option. I heard the the failure rate after a rebuild is around 80%. :0

dustintodd

Member II
HBW50 replaced with Twindisc 40p

Bolo seems to have have a good experience with the Twindisc 40p. I made the mistake of doing HBW50 rebuilt and it has failed again just 3 seasons in. I don't want to eat the ZF costs. I like the Twindisc price. What did you end up doing?