• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Re-powering the Ericson 34

Teranodon

Member III
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}</style>I replaced the Universal 25XP with a new Beta Marine 25.

The Beta is manufactured in Quedgeley, near Gloucester, UK. Like the Universal, it is based on a Kubota block, made in Osaka, Japan. The block is “marinized” (or is it “marinated”?) by the Brits. The Beta is very user-friendly: the oil and fuel filters, the oil and transmission dipsticks, the heat exchanger, the raw water pump- are all easier to reach. There is a handy built-in pump for removing the oil. There is a modern flat (ribbed) drive belt. The old engine was painted an ugly blue, the new one - ugly red.

Engine general.jpg

There is a dealer/technician in nearby Deer Harbor on Orcas Island, and he was willing to come over to my island to perform the installation in the boatyard that is next to my marina. He came over four times over two weeks, and I acted as his assistant, also carrying out numerous tasks while he was away. I highly recommend this kind of arrangement. I had neither the expertise or tools to do the job entirely on my own. Now that the work is done, I feel that I am in a good position to deal with future maintenance and repairs. And I saved about 50% on labor costs.

Using the boatyard’s crane, there were no problems in getting the engines in and out, just some gentle guidance in the companionway.

The Beta has four flexible mounts, versus three on the Universal. The mounts are vertically adjustable but the Beta sits relatively low. So we put down a 1-inch mahogany plank and a 1/4-inch piece of stainless steel (both 25 x 4). The forward sections are supported by 4 x 4 x 8 blocks of mahogany (why mahogany? I happened to have some in my shop). The blocks are fixed to the fiberglass with machine screws (there is access underneath for nuts/washers). The engine mounts are attached to 3/8” tapped holes in the steel. On each side, three lag bolts go through the steel, plank, and underlying fiberglass. One lag bolt for attaching the steel to the block.

To get the Beta in place, we had to destroy the old center mount, and the fiberglass underneath. I hated doing this, but it does now allow good access to the space under the engine (from which I removed decades of oil-infused sludge).

Engine side.jpg

The engine must be positioned longitudinally in a way that allows space for a flexible nylon coupling between the propellor shaft and the transmission (which was replaced along with the engine). If the propellor gets badly fouled, the coupling is designed to break, sparing the gears.

Engine coupling.jpg

Aligning the engine with the propellor shaft in five dimensions (six, really) calls for serious experience/expertise. I’m not sure that I would try doing this by myself, even after seeing it done by a professional. There are numerous references, videos, etc. Still, I hope I never have to do it.

The new stainless elbow that mixes exhaust gases with raw water just would not fit. I did not want to cut into the aft bulkhead, so I sliced the elbow in two, rotated the pieces by 45 degrees and had them re-welded at a local machine shop. Incidentally, when we removed the exhaust hose, a section of it was found to be very beat-up. It made me glad that I put in a CO detector when I switched from CNG to propane last year. Every boat needs one of these. Not expensive, and easy to install.

I removed the 15” Max-Prop and took it apart. The pitch had been set to 22 degrees. I changed it to 18 degrees after consulting with the helpful people at PYI Inc. I cleaned the salty crud off the blades with a wire brush, and lubricated the complicated innards. New zincs, of course.

I used the wire brush on the the shaft as well, took it to Anacortes on the ferry, and had it tested at Olympic Propellors. It passed.

The hardest part of the installation (and the one that produced the most violations of the Second Commandment) was replacing the exhaust connection to the muffler, which is awkwardly buried next to the water heater and the holding tank. To get access, I had to move the holding tank and, Laocoön-like in the lazarette, disconnect some of the horrible stiff Trident sanitation hoses that I had wrestled with last year when I rebuilt that system. Somewhere along the way, I broke a piece of the Groco bubbler that now has to be fished out of the (nearly empty!) tank. I’m really looking forward to that.

I chose the “deluxe” model C control panel, which has real gauges for oil pressure (nice!) coolant temperature and voltage (there are idiot lights and a beeper as well). The panel is a bit bigger than the old one, requiring two passes through the fiberglass with a 2.5-inch hole saw. I gave up on removing all of the old wiring harness - it is just too deeply buried under the exhaust hose and a few other things. So I hacked off the ends, and left the rest in place. Not very elegant, I know, but there will probably be a use for these wires some day. I plan to sell the old engine, and the new owner is going to have to do some splicing.

Control panel.jpg

A nice feature of the Beta is that the STOP cable is replaced with a pushbutton/solenoid arrangement.

The Morse cables for the throttle and gear box did not need to be changed or modified.

The Beta weighs less than the XP, so my boat no longer floats on her lines. According to the specs, it’s only a 35lb difference, but the effect is very noticeable and I don’t understand it. It’s true that I removed several hundred hose clamps, but I put most of them back. It looks like I will have to add some ballast. Not sure how to do this.

We noted excessive vibrations during our first sea trial, so the alignment was repeated, and now the engine and shaft are very steady. I can’t quite get up to the nominal 3600 max RPM, so I may have over-pitched the prop. I don’t feel like paying for a haul out to fix that, so I will live with it. They say that a good diver can do the job, but I don’t believe it.

So that’s my report on re-powering. It is something I had wanted to do for a long time, but I had put off for the usual reasons. In retrospect, it’s not such a huge deal. You just disconnect all of the wires and hoses, unbolt the old, drop in the new, reconnect, clean up the giant mess, and write a check. Trouble is, if you are an “average” Ericson owner like me, you don’t really know what you’re doing until you have seen it done, and then the knowledge is a little bit pointless because you will never be doing it again. Still, there are the rewards - peace of mind (knock on teak), less vibration, improved cruising speed, higher resale value. And then there is the intangible. Whenever I removed the engine cover, I used to feel that I was contemplating a slightly foreign, sinister object, one that was apart from, and incompatible with, the essential character of my boat, my sailboat.Now I no longer feel that way. The shiny new engine has a special sheen of sweat (and even a little blood) that somehow makes it mine.

gadangit

Member III
Awesome write up. Our boatyard has quick hauls that they schedule for the lunch hour, leaving the boat in the sling. There is just enough time to repitch the prop and swap out zincs. We've done that a couple times when dialing in the prop. They also powerwash for a small fee which takes the place of diving and scrubbing the bottom.
Enjoy the new motor, I'll bet it is great.
Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Beta Goodness....... !

Great article Stefan! :)
We are just at the point of planning a sea trial with our new Betamarine 25.

There are some differences in our two engines. Our exhaust elbow with the water injection is cast aluminum. We went with the standard "low rise" fitting because the high rise option would have required some modification of the corner of the engine compartment. We did achieve the necessary amount of height difference from top to riser to bottom of the muffler by lowering the muffler 4 inches with a mod. to the plywood platform it was fastened to.
The change from the old 1 5/8 exhaust hose to the nowadays-standard 2" required all new exhaust hoses and a new muffler anyway. (Last season our original exhaust hose started leaking, and was at the end of its life.)

Wiring. Our our Universal wiring bundle was shot - unsafe actually, and needed to be replaced. Both of the infamous "trailer connectors" were overheating -- measured with an infrared thermometer. I got thru last year with it by wiring around the circuit for the Facet electric lift pump, matter of fact.

How did you do with the hose connections? The engine fuel connections are metric and with some hassle will mate with a 5/16 US hose. You have to reduce the barbs on one side of a connector piece with a lathe or similar motor. The 5/8 coolant hoses to and from the hot water tank did reattach OK, and their raw water pump turns out to be US-supplied and takes a 3/4 hose.
One bit of luck: the standard wiring harness was long enough to reach our panel with no need for any extension.
Love the new panel -- chose the same upgrade model as you.

I moved the factory lift pump and filter assembly out of the engine bay and replaced the old smaller Racor with a new 500 series. Keeping the lift pump in the system is good for times when you need to bleed air out of the fuel system; that little manual 'flipper" on the engine is a pain to use.

Our overflow bottle is now, for the first ever, mounted at the correct level vis-a-vis the cap on the HE tank, adjacent to it on the wall of the engine compartment.
After slightly over filling the sump, I used the built-in oil pump to remove a little oil. Works very well. Time to retire the old vacuum oil changer.

Quirks: our engine was shipped with the trans full to the mark. Sump was empty. It showed proof of having been test-run because the fuel attachment fitting under the injection pump dripped some diesel when I removed the rubber plug.

The factory water fitting on the lower side of the raw water pump pointed straight down. Poor idea IMHO as this would require the incoming water hose to lay down in the engine bay -- a place you want nothing led thru. I removed that fitting and put in a 3/4 inch elbow (and then had to remove the lower flat-belt pully for a minute to allow the new elbow room to screw into place.

Our whole install was somewhat complicated by a much-needed upgrade to the 80's battery wiring. Now, finally, we have large breaker at each bank with new cabling properly installed to ABYC recommendations. ($)

It's quite a 'process' on the whole. OTOH, at about 10K for the engine with some options and another 6+ K for the labor and parts, it's similar to buying a new high-quality "main engine" consisting of a new suite of sails for a boat of our size.

I have done considerable of the grunt work. I am fortunate to have one of the best ship wrights in the NW to do most of the install. A lot of this job required problem solving and 3-D Imagination... and the expertise of an expert machinist. :nerd:

One part of the install that did take some of my friend Tom's engineering experience was making new attachments for both throttle and shift cables. Now the shift comes in from the rear unlike the Beta link down from the top. Our throttle, like all replacements involving a vintage Yacht Services binnacle did require reversing the throttle actuation. I will put some pix of the custom bell-crank built to do this. A friend of our at the club had to deal with this same problem when he installed a Betamarine in his '86 E-32, also.

Did you install the new sound insulation? I did that and mylar-taped every edge so that this new stuff will not crumble away like the old foam did, over 15 years ago.

finally, the new engine is QUIET. The difference is darned near amazing. Did I mention the Quiet? Oh yes... !
:egrin:

Regards,
Loren

ps: went thru about ten band aids, or maybe more. My old hide gets nicked too easily...

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Beta-in-a-Crate

Here's ours, just hoisted out of our Toyota truck and ready to move down the ramp.
May 1, 2018, engine moved to the club and headed for the install.

Boat was prepped and ready, and initial alignment was done by end of May 2.
:egrin:

Then... came a lot of hose and wiring challenges to solve. Some more easily-solved than others.
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Beta25 crated, at gate.jpg
    Beta25 crated, at gate.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited: