• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Check Valve between exhaust elbow and muffler?

Tombee

Member I
I'm doing some needed "remodeling" of the engine compartment on my E-38 and wonder whether a check valve installed inline on the hose between the exhaust elbow and the muffler is necessary? My boat mechanic thinks it is not and would like to remove it...making a new hose run shorter and straighter. Has anyone dealt with this?

Baslin

Member III
I Just replaced the exhaust system on my 1983 E38 and there was no check valve in my system and I did not install a check valve. I upgraded to 2" exhaust and went from the exhaust elbow, straight to a Vernalift muffler. From there the exhaust needs to have a high loop that extends well over the water line and then back out the exit through the transom...In my opinion, a check valve is not needed if you route the exhaust loop high enough above the water line, and it could also cause problems with water flow if it fails....if you go to Centek Industries website and click on one of their below waterline lift mufflers, click on the installation guidelines and it has a good illustration on the correct installation.

hodo

Member III
I have had 2 Ericsons, both with the flapper valve. the first a 30+, had the valve fail, and effectively shut down the exhaust flow, engine would hardly run. the 2nd, 85 E38, I checked and removed , as it was nearing failure. I never saw a need for it, on inland waters. It is supposed to keep water from back-flooding the engine.
Harold

Tombee

Member I
Thanks for the advice. My boat is an '85 also and the valve is most likely used up so we'll take it out and go from there. As for seawater backing into the engine offshore in following seas, I believe there is an inline exhaust hose valve near the stern exit that, when closed, will stop that from occurring. My hesitation is that I'll forget to open it when I start the engine again.