• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Cockpit Drain (Scupper) Cover

Bill Baum

Member II
Does anyone know who made these and if they are still available? They are from our 1982 Hull #5 Ericson 33. It has 7 slots and is 3-1/8" diameter.
attachment.php

Attachments

• cockpit drain cover.jpg
    cockpit drain cover.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 878

Bill Baum

Member II
Thanks! But they are a little different...

Loren, Christian - Thank you for your quick responses. I have looked at the Perko and the Sea Dog, and it appears that neither is an exact match to what we have on our boat. They both quote an OD of 3.25", whereas our appears to be 3.125". Also, there are different numbers of lots in the drain - ours has 7, Seadog has 6, and image on thePerko site shows 5. I'm sure we could live with a different number of slots, but I surely want the screw holes to line up. Christian - did you have any problem with the screws?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Those come in two flavors: chrome-plated brass and stainless. You have the plated ones - the stainless are better. (You probably already noticed that Perko has two sizes using the same part number. Handy, not!)

I would not get hung up over 1/8" difference in the stated size. Worst case: overdrill the holes in the plate, not the boat.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Get the Perkos

I used the stainless Seadog version because I did not find the Perko. The diameter is correct but I had to fill the old and re-drill the new four mounting holes. The old holes are covered by the plate.
Bottom line - the Perko is the way to go.

Also check your head shower drain to see if you need a third cover.

Mark

kapnkd

kapnkd
Same as Original Cockpit Drain (Scupper) Covers

I've been looking for replacement cockpit drain (scupper) covers for our '73 E32-II for some time now.

FINALLY! ...found a source with the exact original size and shape (3 1/4" diameter with parallel slots). Even the holes matched right up!

Not sure how many of you are also in need of replacing drain covers but figure this info is worth sharing. The price was reasonable (just over $3.00 each) and the quality is good. I ordered a couple extra as the S&H was a bit pricey at around $8.00 so figured to save a bit for next time. ...Still well worth it given the worn out shape of our old ones. I would assume many of the Ericson models (especially older ones) shared this same size fitting (???).

https://www.iboats.com/shop/seadog-round-locker-vent-3-1-4-line.html

Drain Covers.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I did that, too. Now when I watch water go down the shiny drains I feel really good inside.

That's worth more than $8!

kapnkd

kapnkd
I did that, too. Now when I watch water go down the shiny drains I feel really good inside.

That's worth more than $8!

Absolutely Christian! Amazing what the little touches do to enhance the overall look of a project and in providing a sense of satisfaction.

Just curious...were your drain covers the same size and look?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think so...

Cockpit Drain Covers by Any Other Name...

Mine were worn out after 32 years. Dented, scratched, worn by a thousand days of Topsiders grinding potato chips into them.

But I couldn't find replacements for Perko cockpit grates anywhere on line.

That's because they're called "Perko Round Locker Vent Grilles." Exact replacements. Were they always called that? Who knows. Shiny news ones are a ten minute job that perks up the cockpit floor considerably.

attachment.php

kapnkd

kapnkd
I think so...

Cockpit Drain Covers by Any Other Name...

Mine were worn out after 32 years. Dented, scratched, worn by a thousand days of Topsiders grinding potato chips into them.

But I couldn't find replacements for Perko cockpit grates anywhere on line.

That's because they're called "Perko Round Locker Vent Grilles." Exact replacements. Were they always called that? Who knows. Shiny news ones are a ten minute job that perks up the cockpit floor considerably.

attachment.php

As you said Christian, it’s all in the name. Now that I finally got what was needed, the item starts popping up like mushrooms! Amazing how that works!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Sorry, I’ve known about those SeaDog and Perko replacements for years...shouldn’ve mentioned them. I had spray painted my original ones with chromelike bumper paint, they’d gotten so bad. That was not an improvement. Stumbled across replacements on the shelf in my first walk through the Defender store (which was a epiphinal experience).

Here’s something else to keep in mind: the Perko ones come in two flavors, stainless and chrome-plated brass (or maybe it’s bronze). YOU DON’T WANT THE PLATED ONES IN YOUR COCKPIT, THEY PIT AND CHIP. They are marginally shinier than the stainless, and might be fine for interior vent use.

Another detail: the metal tube they cover up is a standard plumbing part you find on the shelf in Home Depot in a couple of quality grades. Buy the nicest ones you can, in an oversize length, and just cut them to size with a hacksaw.

Glyn Judson

Home Depot type scupper tubes, danger!

Fellers, Be cautious with those thin walled scupper drains. Based on another E31 owner doing the job first, I was finally inspired replace all three of mine because the aft, center one had that tube which was on its las legs. I shudder to think of the potential catastrophe if it were to have broken free with the hose falling to the bottom of the bilge. Seeing the paper thin remnants was enough to convince me to replace it and the other two as well. Please see the attached images of the thin tube and the beefier 1 1/2" cast bronze Perko replacements. Mind you, the hose clamp was attached in that very spot and might have contributed to the brittle walls collapsing the way they did. Let me explain here why I resorted to such a seemingly expensive remedy. I think you can tell that I removed the chrome from all three of them in areas where it would show with my 48" fixed belt sander. I bought all three of them used at Minney's marine consignment store in Newport Beach CA for $15.00 each and immediately replaced all the inner floating balls before sanding them down prior to installation. So although lovely and expensive looking, they were a great budget solution to a large and dangerous problem. A hole saw, a couple of Hail Mary's and I was almost home free. I drilled and tapped the fiberglass with the clear understanding that the bronze screws would never come out in my lifetime, and the boat was now much safer. I'm too big a guy to have made it back into the bilges to attach the hoses, that was relegated to my loving and skinny wife Marilyn. Enjoy, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Scupper, thin walled tube.jpg
    Hull #55, Scupper, thin walled tube.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Hull #55, Perko, center scupper.jpg
    Hull #55, Perko, center scupper.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Hull #55, Perko scuppers.jpg
    Hull #55, Perko scuppers.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 20

kapnkd

kapnkd
Fellers, Be cautious with those thin walled scupper drains. Based on another E31 owner doing the job first, I was finally inspired replace all three of mine because the aft, center one had that tube which was on its las legs. I shudder to think of the potential catastrophe if it were to have broken free with the hose falling to the bottom of the bilge. Seeing the paper thin remnants was enough to convince me to replace it and the other two as well. Please see the attached images of the thin tube and the beefier 1 1/2" cast bronze Perko replacements. Mind you, the hose clamp was attached in that very spot and might have contributed to the brittle walls collapsing the way they did. Let me explain here why I resorted to such a seemingly expensive remedy. I think you can tell that I removed the chrome from all three of them in areas where it would show with my 48" fixed belt sander. I bought all three of them used at Minney's marine consignment store in Newport Beach CA for $15.00 each and immediately replaced all the inner floating balls before sanding them down prior to installation. So although lovely and expensive looking, they were a great budget solution to a large and dangerous problem. A hole saw, a couple of Hail Mary's and I was almost home free. I drilled and tapped the fiberglass with the clear understanding that the bronze screws would never come out in my lifetime, and the boat was now much safer. I'm too big a guy to have made it back into the bilges to attach the hoses, that was relegated to my loving and skinny wife Marilyn. Enjoy, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Thanks for the the heads up!

Luckily we’ve been in fresh water since ‘91 so hopefully they’re still in good shape. That being said, I am going to check them for thinning and properly replace if needed. I know what WILL happen if I don’t check them!

Glyn Judson

thin walled tubes.

To be honest, I have run into near paper thin tubes in several of the homes we have owned. Now, I realize the not only is that fresh water going down the drain but hand soap as well but at the end of the day I'm not too trusting of them in either environment. Today PVC under the bathroom sink is the way to go. Glyn

Emerald

I've had these basically break off in my hand when when I went to replace my scupper drain lines. :0 These tailpipes look basically like what you'd use on your sink at home. Never would cut the mustard in today's world, and at this point, they're old. They really need to be replaced. I had a bronze through hull with a ball valve on it snap off on me due to electrolysis, revealed by the rose pink hue of the snapped metal. At the risk of sounding like your mother :rolleyes: anything of this type that's original on our boats should be replaced at this point.

Glyn Judson

Credit where credit is due.

All, I forgot to credit David, E31 hull #44 with coming up with the idea of using these beautiful Perko bronze scuppers. I was only encouraged to do the same after seeing his step by step photos of the installation. Great job David! Glyn

Emerald

All, I forgot to credit David, E31 hull #44 with coming up with the idea of using these beautiful Perko bronze scuppers. I was only encouraged to do the same after seeing his step by step photos of the installation. Great job David! Glyn

Awe shucks, it was nothin', honest

(thanks)

:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat has those same SS "Perko" style cockpit drain covers. Little scratched up with use, but doing fine otherwise.
Interesting comments about the cockpit drain plumbing fittings underneath on the older boats.

By 1988 EY was installing Marelon right-angle drains and I have replaced the hoses on both of ours. I can certify that they are solid as new when I was thumping around under there. That reinforced plastic material is very tough stuff.

Last edited: