• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Was a keel stepped mast an option?

pgadd

Member I
I believe almost all, if not all, E35-2s had deck stepped masts as original equipment. I knew of one that had a keel-stepped mast, and that kept the boat from a dismasting. The starboard shrouds pulled out, and the owner reacted quickly enough so that he saved the mast.

I know of another one that is a FSBO, and the owner claims it is keel-stepped. So . . . Was having a keel stepped mast an option? Any specific years?

I'm considering getting an E35-2. It can get pretty gnarly here on SF Bay, and I'd prefer a keel stepped mast if at all possible.

Anybody have any thoughts or info?

mfield

Member III
An interesting question. The 35-3 is keel stepped and I have never seen a keel stepped 35-2 or 35.

In the event the stays give and a mast is pushed sideways would it be better to be able to remove it by cutting the remaining stays or also have to deal with the remaining partially snapped stump of a mast.

SF Bay is a little exciting but I don't think it's dismast exciting :)

saltandthesea

not keel stepped and you won't dismast

pgadd -

I think the boat you're looking at is currently on Craigslist in South San Francisco. Although the listing specifies "keel stepped", the photos indicate that is clearly not the case. The 35-2 is designed as a deck stepped boat. The listing clearly shows the regular mahogany compression post under the mast.

I have one of these on SF Bay currently that I might be selling shortly. The boat, deck stepped, handles anything you'll see on SF Bay. Just use common sense and reef appropriately, same as you would with a keel stepped mast. The only thing to be aware of is that the 35-2 (and probably the 32-2) is relatively tender, so you'll start reefing early (around 18 knots). I've had my boat out in ~30 knots singlehanded. It's been to Hawaii and back twice (not with me) if that tells you anything.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I almost perceive a larger question about strength of thru-stepped vs deck-stepped for sail boats in general.
What I have absorbed from builders and riggers over the decades is that both rig designs are equally suitable for the stress of heavy weather if (!) well-designed in the first place. In my geographic area, to cite one common example, we have the Cascade 36 and 42 boats, both designs having circumnavigated many many times. If you look back just a few years at the first over all finish of Rain Drop in the Pacific Cup, that is a standard double-spreader deck-stepped rig on a Cascade 36.

Given the quality of the design and construction of the Ericson's I would not worry about whether the rig is thru-stepped. There are some measurable and incremental performance gains with the lighter-section spar of a keel stepped spar, but I wonder if these gains are very real to us average sailors.
:confused:

Last edited:

pgadd

Member I
pgadd -

I think the boat you're looking at is currently on Craigslist in South San Francisco. Although the listing specifies "keel stepped", the photos indicate that is clearly not the case. The 35-2 is designed as a deck stepped boat. The listing clearly shows the regular mahogany compression post under the mast.

I have one of these on SF Bay currently that I might be selling shortly. The boat, deck stepped, handles anything you'll see on SF Bay. Just use common sense and reef appropriately, same as you would with a keel stepped mast. The only thing to be aware of is that the 35-2 (and probably the 32-2) is relatively tender, so you'll start reefing early (around 18 knots). I've had my boat out in ~30 knots singlehanded. It's been to Hawaii and back twice (not with me) if that tells you anything.

Yep, it's the 35 on Craigslist. Having just the pic that was posted and not having one to inspect, I doubted that it was keel stepped, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification. The other one I referred to was definitely keel stepped, however. Musta been an owner mod.

Why are you thinking of selling?