• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ICOM AIS receiver for sale

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
A friend of mine at work has posted this for sale. Thought I'd share it here in case someone wants to dip their toe into AIS.

ICOM MXA-5000 AIS receiver / $75

Standalone AIS receiver, works great if you already have a nice VHF on your boat. It has a built-in splitter so it can share the same antenna as your onboard VHF (I'll include the necessary jumper cable). Has NMEA0183 output which connects to most chartplotters. Full details here: http://www.icomamerica.com/…/marine/ais/mxa5000/default.aspx
I just upgraded to AIS transmit as well, so I don't need this anymore. Retails for $200 new. It is a little under 2 years old (installed August 2016).

I'm not the seller, but I know him and would be happy to pass along interest or inquiries for anyone here.

Note that this is a *receiver* only - not a transponder.

Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I checked with him just now, he says he has an offer and a backup if that one falls through.

I asked him to add you to the queue, just in case.

Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Just heard from the guy... the deals fell through because he couldn't find the thing when it came time to deliver it. (I know that feeling...)

He now has it in hand, so... it's up for grabs again. Let me know if (still) interested.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That’s an interesting device. You might also find the Quark-Elec QK-A026 intriguing at about $110. (I had to shop around for that price, eBay shows them at $140.) Unlike this ICOM, the Quark AIS receiver has an integrated GPS, which requires only an $8 GPS antenna. It also has a WiFi output that works with iNavX and other charting software on iPads, iPhones, and laptops including Macs. I consider that a killer feature since I never installed a chart plotter.

However, the Quark’s integrated GPS might be redundant for many, and it lacks the ICOM’s integrated VHF antenna splitter. I was going to just add another VHF antenna to my pushpit for AIS-receive-only, but it turns out that Glomex makes a cheap $40 splitter that also has an FM antenna output. (Brand name VHF splitters are 5x that).

So for $175 including some wires I added AIS via WiFi, plus GPS to my DSC-compatible VHF, which for never having had a dedicated chartplotter I thought was a pretty good value.

Https://www.quark-elec.com/onlinemall/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

They also have the Quark A023 which is just the AIS WiFi receiver, no GPS, no NMEA data out (and no splitter).

No affiliation with Quark, just a (new) customer who is also new to AIS.

Last edited: