• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 36RH For Sale in Virginia Hull #5

markvone

Sustaining Member
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/ericson-36-rh-sailboat/6562866357.html

I don't have any association with the seller, just would like to see this boat not die. This boat should be considered a total refit project.
Here is additional info from the seller that I got via email.

Mark

1981 Ericson 36 Ron Holland “Off Budget

Hull # 5 (of 32 built) Formerly named “Outlaw” Ericson’s factory race boat.
Hull ID# ERY36XX5M81C

The boat has been more or less unused for the last 10 years. The previous owner kept her in a slip on the Bay and enjoyed her for many years, but was relocated to another state for work. He left with the idea that he would return to VA and resume sailing the boat. He did not. That is where most of the maintenance issues with the boat started.

I will try to give you a very basic idea of the condition of the boat, but please note these are my own observations only. I would consider this boat a project only and feel the asking price reflects this. I am selling “as-is” “where-is” and would encourage prospective buyers to have it surveyed at their own expense before purchase.

Interior:
Several rainwater leaks over the years have resulted in water damage to the teak interior. There is one delaminated spot on the sole near the mast step. There are several areas of delamination on the cabinet tops and nav station. The headliner has been removed and is not with the boat. I believe once the deck fittings and ports are removed and re-bedded, the teak wood could be restored to it’s original condition. I have the original cushions for the boat, some of which are in serviceable condition considering their age.

Exterior:
All running rigging will need replacement. The standing rigging is original stainless steel rod. The mast and boom are painted black and could use repainting. No maintenance has been performed in at least a decade, so all ports and hardware need to be re-bedded, seals replaced, etc. The hull is heavily oxidized. The bottom was epoxy barrier coated several years ago.

Engine:
Universal 5424 diesel. Winterized and has not been started in 4 years. Fuel tank still has quite a bit of fuel in it from that time. Exterior of engine does show some corrosion. I have verified that the engine will turn over and has compression. I believe there are two batteries with the boat, but both are long dead.
Hurth HBW-10 transmission

Electronics:
VHF radio
Signet 2000 depth, knot meter, wind speed indicator. All original to the boat as far as I know. Weathered and in unknown condition.
Navtec hydraulic backstay and boom vang. Unknown condition.

Sails included:
Dacron main
130 Genoa
180 Genoa
Mylar drifter
Mainsail cover
All sails are of unknown age. All have been stored properly folded and separately in climate controlled storage and appear to be in serviceable condition.

The boat will be sold with a bill of sale. I have the original Maryland title, which is unsigned, and the bill of sale from a broker to the previous owner. He intended to have the boat documented with the Coast Guard, but the process was never completed. It will be the buyer’s responsibility to complete this however he chooses.

The boat is currently on the hard in a very good full service boatyard in Deltaville, VA. Storage runs $125/month. I reside about 70 miles from the yard so I don’t get down there often, but will work with you however I can to answer questions, take specific photos, meet contractors, etc. I would love to see this vessel returned to her former glory.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Ugh. Entropy is a potent force, right up there with gravity. That poor boat's value is -10K in present condition - at best - and it must have been a real disaster inside even before it got ripped apart.

With time and money of course it could be turned into something special...but so could any number of boats in better starting condition, with a lot less time.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I blame dry storage for only $125 a month. That would tempt anybody to hang on for ten years while putting off jobs.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Outlaw gone to ???

The Craigslist ad has been deleted by the author. The price had dropped $500 every two weeks and was last at $7000 when I assume the owner got an offer he couldn't refuse. He had his eyes on another boat and was motivated. You have to wonder what the new owner's "plan" is.

Alas, the price never got near my target of -$30,000 and I never found space in my townhouse to store a spare mast.

Mark

mbarbee

Saving hull#5

I purchased the Ericsson 36, Hull#36. My plans are to bring her back to her once glory. I will keep everyone informed of the progress.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

All of our Ericsons are aging somewhat, and take loving care, time, tools, skill and ingenuity to keep them in good shape. However, they were quality boats to begin with, and are worth investing in to keep them in good shape, or to restore them if they have been neglected.

I am pleased to hear that you bought this E36. I hope you have the skill, time, patience and persistence to bring her back into her glory. This Ericson site is a real treasure, with lots of knowledgeable sailors and everyone is very willing to help. We have all done various projects and repairs on our boats, so don't hesitate to ask questions or pose problems for us to solve with you. Usually someone has solved whatever problem on their boat and can give tips and advice.

Keep us posted on how it goes for you and good luck!

Frank

markvone

Sustaining Member
Welcome to the site!

Please let me know if you need any help or info. I've pretty much crawled every inch of my boat and have done or investigated most projects. One nice feature of the E36RH design is that you have access to just about every area inside the hull without tearing anything out.

Feel free to message me directly.

If you are lucky, the engine will fire up and there will be a useable main and jib in the inventory and you can go sailing while you work on the rest. Where do you plan to keep the boat?

Mark

CSMcKillip

This is great news - I have the 33 designed by Ron Holland, there is a wealth of information here!!! I restored our 33 over the last 9 years of ownership and the boats are very similar - ie same systems. Let us know...… and post up some photos!

mbarbee

Thank you for the encouraging words of wisdom. My plans is to bring the Ericson to my house for as long as I need to get her sea worthy. I am a general contractor by trade specializing in custom cabinets and furniture. The interior appears to be a challenge, but just another project that I can't wait to jumb on. I have several questions that I have been doing some research on. I will keep everyone abreast of the progress.
Thanks,
Mark B.

mbarbee

I need to sign off appropriately

Mark B
E36rh #5
Off Budget(soon to be "Perseverance")

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

I have a set of blue lines for my 33. It shows electrical runs and plumbing. The two boats are designed similar. Let me know if you want a copy.

mbarbee

Chris,

I would love to get my hands on the working drawings for electrical and plumbing. With the new technology, everything needs to be upgraded. Can you use pex piping for the plumbing? I find that to be a better solution for making turns in tight quarters. My plans are for lighting is to go with LED throughout. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark B
E36RH_HULL#5

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

Here is the link to the PDF. I have gone thru and located most manufactures of the equipment I have had on board and searched for the manuals as well. I am working to see if I can get this stuff and information in the downloads section of the board, or I might just create a file server for it.

as for the plumbing, almost all of the plumbing is not hard plumbed. I see no reason why plex wouldn’t work as the connections are better then the stainless fittings on my own boat. You may want to look into the yacht plumbing standards and follow that as a baseline- I only say that due to you selling the boat in the future or survey that may be required. LED lighting is a must.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ao142fKvxOWikKVt6iXlZ57_2sMlrA

mbarbee

Information

Here is the link to the PDF. I have gone thru and located most manufactures of the equipment I have had on board and searched for the manuals as well. I am working to see if I can get this stuff and information in the downloads section of the board, or I might just create a file server for it.

as for the plumbing, almost all of the plumbing is not hard plumbed. I see no reason why plex wouldn’t work as the connections are better then the stainless fittings on my own boat. You may want to look into the yacht plumbing standards and follow that as a baseline- I only say that due to you selling the boat in the future or survey that may be required. LED lighting is a must.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ao142fKvxOWikKVt6iXlZ57_2sMlrA

Chris,

First and foremost, I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you for the information. So many things to do. First thing is to pull all ports and get them all rebedded. Thanks again.

Mark
E36RH-HULL#5

csoule13

Member III
Chris,

I would love to get my hands on the working drawings for electrical and plumbing. With the new technology, everything needs to be upgraded. Can you use pex piping for the plumbing? I find that to be a better solution for making turns in tight quarters. My plans are for lighting is to go with LED throughout. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark B
E36RH_HULL#5

Re: Pex - It's been written about in Good Old Boat and any number of boat forums. It comes highly recommended in the various communities. Good luck.