• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

compass housing on top of binnacle shattered

Scott Peterson

Thanks in advance to anyone checking this post out!

The question is after this little story if you don't want to read it!
I was single handing my e35 to deliver it from where I had bought it on the central coast of CA to the harbor where my mooring is. The weather was perfect and as predicted 15 kt reach for 3/4 of trip, with the sails balanced I was able to walk around the boat taking videos with the helm cammed down while she stayed right on course at a great clip. I was unpleasantly surprised (yes my bad) to see that under the perfectly folded full batten main (amazingly by previous owners) there was no reefing hardware or rigging on the boom (yes my bad but really - just some simple cheek blocks and straps!? ), but this was a downhill delivery keeping full sail up in a light apparent wind I was hoping for the report/conditions of hold. Of course after rounding the last point the air built quickly to a solid 30kt run with large following sea, and it went quickly from not being able to leave the helm to losing the ability to correct on the seas being overpowered by the main, so I had to leave the helm cammed to jury rig a reef, the first reef was too difficult but I was able to rig a second reef, but in the process my genoa (which was mostly furled) ripped up. That was a bummer, but not unexpected for a sail which is exposed to sun on it's leach and foot all day long. I was able to get back on a nice run and all was good but it was nasty (a similar size boat in distress down at the harbor had dropped all sail and was being rescued by harbor patrol as I approached the harbor). A friend who was worried about the conditions was calling and calling me (but I had my hands full correcting on the swells) and in the one or two seconds that I used one hand off the helm trying to call him back to say I was fine I immediately did an accidental jibe and to my disbelief the sweeping main sheet shattered the plastic compass cover off the top of the binnacle sending the compass into the cockpit (nice!!!). My boat already had no power so I had to find a very slow moving point of sail (couldn't heave to with the sails in their latest 'condition') once I was inside the entrance while I watched the harbor patrol to take forever in that air to tow the other boat to a mooring in multiple attempts, but I didn't run out of sea room by the time they were able to get to me so what can I say, the sail was perfection for 3/4 of the trip.

Finally Question : Compass housing (plastic top of binnacle) replacement for a 1973 e35 ii ?

Thanks again in advance!
Scott

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You didn't mention the compass make, but a call to the manufacturer will lay out the options for repair.

Sounds like quite a new-boat adventure!

Please put your model, year and engine in the signature line. It helps readers know if their information applies. Settings/My Settings/Edit Signature

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
It sounds like you handled that first adventure with your new boat well, despite the challenging conditions and limited ability to reef sails with the existing setup. It's always hard to start with a boat that's new to you, until you figure it all out and get it set up the way you want it.

I have had some luck in finding spare parts like a compass cover at used equipment chandleries, marine exchanges/garage sales. If that's not successful, then try an internet search to see if you can buy the cover on ebay, amazon, etc. Otherwise, Christian's suggestion of calling the manufacturer would likely lead to some success.

Good luck!
Frank

Scott Peterson

Thanks for replies - yes there will be some new gear going on, because the boat was sailed in that area for years I made some silly assumptions...

The main reason for the story was to see if anyone had a similar experience with that configuration of binnacle just aft of the traveler, had anyone been seated aft end of the main cockpit it seems like it may have been their head (or at least their favorite cap) instead of the top of the binnacle - vang and preventers next time...

The compass was a Danforth Express - photo attached in case that helps.

binnacle compass.jpgI ha

I've emailed the ericsonyachts.org and pacific sea craft...

Thanks again in advance!
Scott

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The traveler is close to the binnacle on an E-35-2, and I sort of recall seeing some photos of that model with a ss guard in place to help protect the compass. Perhaps a custom addition by an owner.

Scott Peterson

Thanks to all for help - i've found a used base/compass/cover (only need base/cover) that I'm checking fit on, otherwise I'm waiting to hear but looking like this is not made anymore - parts at Viking are all about compass, don't see base/covers...
Scott

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Danforth got out of the compass business decades ago. You'll have to find used parts. Viking compass (as Dave mentioned) has lots of repair parts. The guy that runs it is very helpful over the phone. I think he claimed to have taken the inventory of Danforth parts when they left the compass industry. When I talked to him in Feb, I believe he had a refurb-ed Danforth in the Express case (the one you are looking for) for sale for $300-$400.

Also, call the guy at http://www.islandmarineinst.com/ (888) 539-2757. He is in Everett, WA, outside Seattle. He also has Danforth parts.

You might also just try searching for "compass repair" in your local area. That's how I found islandmarineinst.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That was the story that I got when I replaced the cracked dome on my compass a few years ago - some shop back east had purchased the inventory and had NOS parts. I think, by the time I had it all repaired, I had spent about as much money as a new Ritchie compass would have cost (on sale at the time.) I try to convince myself that I ended up with superior quality old-school workmanship. I hope it's true...

Hint: do not have a specialty store ship the oil refill to you - your local West Marine has it for a fraction of the cost. Also, there are small variations in the domes - be sure to specify exactly what you need. Even though I was very explicit, it took two tries to get the right one. Oh, probably better order the O-ring too.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Diaphragm and fluids

Obtain a new diaphragm and additional fluid, if needed, from Ritchie in Massachusetts. [West Marine usually has compass fluid on the shelf. We are told not to use mineral spirits or alcohol, but "compass fluid"]. I am told that if you have an existing bubble, chances are good the problem is an aging diaphragm, and of course any diaphragm can be punctured by an act of clumsiness-- which happened to somebody I know.

Remove and save existing fluid, if clear. The diaphragm can be felt under the compass body, where it expands and contracts according to fluid temperature, and where you can accidentally stick a screwdriver into it if you are in such an all-fired hurry as the fellow I know. That’s one way to empty a compass fast.

With fluid out, remove the screws on the plastic dome and set the dome aside.

Remove the compass card, which balances on a bridge captured by slots in the case. Take care with the delicate balance device attached beneath it, which keeps the card level. Remove the screws of the lower internal assembly (seen on the cutting board in the picture), which holds the diaphragm (seen resting on compass) in place.

Remove and replace the rubber diaphragm and reassemble.
Locate the fill hole on the side of the compass and use a turkey baster to insert fluid until full.

Eliminate the bubble by manipulation of the compass body to burp it, topping off with baster. This was easy in my case at ambient 60F. If the weather is hot,
put the fluid in the refrigerator first.

From blog http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?122-Ritchie-Diaphragm-Replacement

Last edited: